Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bump to the top.

I have had a 175 for several years and just replaced the motor because it was blowing the fuse. After taking the original motor apart I found that the armature contacts were bridged with graphite from the brushes. I cleaned the gaps out and now the motor works just fine. I could have saved ~$200...
    Yours may have the same problem and is just working intermittently.

Default Establish a record of this problem with Miller

Trickard,
    How long have you owned the welder? Are you the original owner?
    If your warranty is still in effect you want to call Miller service and get it on the record that you're having this problem. If you need a new circuit board, a new wirefeed motor or motor controller and you don't have a valid waranty claim,you will end up spending a lot of bucks!
    Rent a welder or have some local shop do this job. Get the welder back to Miller asap.
    DrBob

I too, am having a similar problem with my millermatic 175, the feed motor will not operate. I can get it to turn when I help it but once I let off the trigger it won't start on its own. the machine is a 2003 model.

I felt that it was a feed motor problem so i disconnected the feed motor and the voltage varies with the adjustment of the feed speed knob(appx 23 volts DC at max). With either motor in the circuit the voltage drops out almost to appx 2 VDC. I also checked voltage on the welding lead connections it varies from +/- 15 to 30 VDC

So I order a new motor and the new motor is doing the same thing.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fyoung View Post
    that sounds high for a new board..that makes me wonder what the boards cost for the bigger welders..such as the 210's,250's,251's etc. !?!?
    Glad to hear it was covered under warranty.
    Thanks for the up-date,Farris
    I can tell you the 251nt Trailblazers are over $600.00 for their board,,,,,, mine went out with a smidge over 109 hrs on the clock,,,,, welcome to corporate America,,,,, pitifull in my books.
    pull-do

Probabally not that important in this discussion, but..I was recently reminded that the great city that I live in , has only 208v max.
    Austin Tx.
    R.W.