Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Everything that others have said. Buy a stack of replacements, they are cheap. I clean mine with my hand, my glove, my shirt, etc., whatever is fastest. When they get to really scratched I put new ones in. Sometimes I can't believe the difference when I change the clears.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default "Anti-Fog"

Quote Originally Posted by kraythe View Post
    Greetings,

I am having a big problem keeping my lenses clean on my miller digital elite helmet when doing SMAW or FCAW. I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips. It seems like after a short time (often only a couple long welds) the flux has built up on the lens so much that it makes it hard to see the puddle. Perhaps its my head position or weld position that is off. I am not a pro welder, just a hobbyist, so I am most likely doing something wrong. When using FCAW or SMAW, I find I **** my head to one side and get pretty low to see the puddle and what it is doing. I tried backing off but then the MIG gun obscured the weld puddle and I was practically welding blind with ... predictable ... results.

So anyone have any idea what i am doing wrong or is this a common problem that someone knows a good tip on?

Thanks in advance.
    Torch Wear makes an "Anti-Fog" lens cleaning paste that you apply to new lens covers, and helps significantly. I use my old trusty Fibre-Metal Pipeliner hood for SMAW, FCAW, and CAC-A, and save the $$$$$ Miller Hood for GTAW and MIG. The lens covers can get expensive for those "Big Window" hoods.

I think Cyberweld sells the Torch Wear Lens paste.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default I'm Blind

Take your face out of the Puddle

They gave you arms so don't have to put your face in the puddle.... Increase your face to puddle distance by the length of your arms
    Bobcat 225
    The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
    Just got a new Hypertherm 30

Hillbilly69,
    That's good advice provided you can see at that distance. Myself if I weld that far away I can't see well enough to weld.

As davedarragh has said I only use my "Big Window Elite" for TIG welding. For everything else I use a 25.00 Jackson helmet. By the way the new Jackson headgear is a big improvement over the original.

The clears for the Big Window Elite are expensive in my opinion but the clears for the Jackson are cheap, I think I pay somewhere between .50 and .75 a piece for them.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default Miller Elite

Love My Elite for years. The only problems I have Is the inside cover. While changing lenses out its hard not to mare the very sensitive inside lens. I gently on a clean surface carefully install then put scotch tape around sides to keep grinding dust from getting in between the auto-darkening and cover lens. The outer cover gets gets wiped on my sleeve a lot but too much arc splashes makes it hard to see as i tig. That is when I Know it is time to replace.20140219_090224.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Everything that others have said. Buy a stack of replacements, they are cheap. I clean mine with my hand, my glove, my shirt, etc., whatever is fastest. When they get to really scratched I put new ones in. Sometimes I can't believe the difference when I change the clears.
    I know what you mean. I go for a while without changing my lens protector then when I finally think to the next bead is always way bright and like HD clear.

Default Keeping Hood Lenses Clean when Working with SMAW or FCAW

Try getting a cheater lens for your helmet. ( magnifying lens) that should help so your not holding your face as close. Or try reading glasses.

When I know I'm going to be welding a lot that day, I have a micro fiber rag in my back pocket (at least near by). You can get them at the dollar store. It's not going to stop all of the scratches but it's got be better than using your shirt. Or just lick it clean ;-)