Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4 Post Dryer Plug Wiring

I've got a Millermatic 175 mig welder which I'm trying to wire to my 4 post Dryer outlet. I'm using a 25' 10/3 extension cable. The dryer outlet consists of 4 posts..........two flat spade terminals side by side, a round terminal on top, and an "L" shaped terminal on the bottom (I believe it's a 30 amp). My 175 plug has a small spade teminal on the left, a larger spade terminal on the right, and a round terminal at the top. The 10/3 cable has a green, white, and black. I was hoping someone here on the forum could help as far as the wiring goes.

Thanks in advance.

Correction to the post above, the cable is 8/3, not 10/3.

Default New receptacle.....

The receptacle that fits your MM175 is a NEMA 6-50 (nicknamed Welder outlet) which can be had at Lowe's/Home Depot or the like. It slightly resembles a regular 120V outlet. The hot wires attach to the outside lugs and the gound wire to the round lug. The 4-wire dryer receptacle (probably) has a black and a red (hot wires), a white (neutral) and a green (ground). The white neutral does not get connected to the new 6-50 receptacle. Leave it capped off inside the box.

Hope this helps.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Yes, I already have both receptacles which I got from Lowe's. So black and white to both hots, and green to ground, neutral not used.

That'll do it!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JCTX View Post
    Yes, I already have both receptacles which I got from Lowe's. So black and white to both hots, and green to ground, neutral not used.

That'll do it!!

Thanks!

NO!

Black, RED and Ground Do not connect the white-

ahh I see you are making an extension cord- So yes
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 01-09-2008 at 12:51 PM.

I was allways told that you never change out the wall plug only change pigtails to match the wall plug. The 4 prong has 2 hot 1 ground 1 netural which is the new code. The three plug has 2 hot and 1 ground-netural. Three prong netural and ground sre the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    I was allways told that you never change out the wall plug only change pigtails to match the wall plug. The 4 prong has 2 hot 1 ground 1 netural which is the new code. The three plug has 2 hot and 1 ground-netural. Three prong netural and ground sre the same.
    Yeah, that's what I did. I needed an extension to go from the dryer plug out to my garage. I bought both the 3-terminal welder side receptacle, and the 4-terminal male plug from Lowe's. Both made by Cooper. (using a 25' 8/3 cable) Following triggerman's advice, I connected the green to the lower center "L" shaped terminal, (ground) and the black and white to the side spade terminals (hot). I left out the round neutral terminal. Got it all wired up and fired the 175 and it's working perfectly. It's been about a year and a half since I've done any welding so gonna get some practice in...

Thanks again.

Talking

What exactly is the purpose of the nuetral anyways?

Default Neutral

The voltage from hot to hot is 240V. From either hot to neutral is 120V. The green ground wire should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER be wired to carry current during normal conditions. The neutral is a return path for the current coming down the hot leg to get back to the wall, breaker box and, ultimately, the power plant.

Hope this helps.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

The neutral is for appliances that have 120v controls, as most modern appliances do now. You need a neutral and one leg of 240v for 120.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw