Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Old Big 40

Default New Old Big 40

I've just bought a Big 40, SN: HJ163257, 1978 model according to the chart on this site. I've downloaded the manual (o450n_mil). The manual indicates that it will run 300 amps at 100% duty cycle and will do 400 amps. Is that correct? My panel is completely bleached out, but I've referenced several pictures of other Big 40s on the inet. What I'm finding is that the highest range is 225-MAX. This is more a matter of curiosity than necessity because I anticipate that 300 amps will be more than enough for anything I do, but it would be nice to know what that highest range is actually doing. 225-400 does seem like an awfully wide range.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gary

Actually the machine will do 300 amps 40 volts @ 100% duty. Anything above that through to 600 amps will be on a duty cycle that you have to monitor

Okay, I get the part about 300 amps at 100% duty, but what is the actual max for this machine? I don't think you are implying that this machine will do 600 amps. Is 400 the max?

Yes it'll do 600 amps though at a low voltage, and a low duty cycle. There is no regulated controller to limit the amperage. You will likely never get there anyways as 1/4" rod runs in at 325 amps. Even gouging don't turn the fine control dial past 3/4

Okay, I had no idea it would do that many amps. Thanks for the info, Cruizer!