Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding a vehicle frame

Can anyone offer me some tips on welding a vehicle frame together? What I would like to do is cut a vehicle frame in half(because the rear frame is bent) and weld a good rear half back on to it. The truck frame would need to be cut in the center, so there would be a lot of stress in this area. Please be aware this frame is a box type frame.

My plan is to make a top to bottom vertical cut and then weld it back together like a butt joint. What could I do to make this area as strong as it needs to be.

Thanks

It would need more reinforcement than just butt welding it back together.

You will need some sort of fish plates welded over the butt joints, and perhaps more reincorcement.

You also might consider making a step cut in each of the frames, and having them mate together.

Finally, this might be a bad idea altogether, and it might be better to just find a straight frame, if possible.

-James

No straight cuts on frames. Sides, and top/bottom flanges should be cut on 45 degree angles to disperse stress loads and to allow for greatest amount of weld surface area.

To re-inforce, either load frame inside with tubing that fits inside of current frame, or weld on "fish plating" or load dispersing panels on the outside as mentioned.

Maybe do some checking around to see if someone in your area has done this sort of thing before and is willing to give you some tips and hands-on demonstration.

I have no idea of your skill level, and intend no insult, but when doing this kind of work, you don't really have any room for errors.

Opinions vary, this is how I'd do it.

Best of Luck.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Don't hold me to the wall here but I read somewhere not to do vertical welds on a frame especially in an area of high stress. If you did weld the new back half
    of the frame on you would need reinforcement plates. Again, when welding the side plates, weld only the horzintal top and bottom, not the vertical left and right ends.............per the article I read. The heat generated at the vertical welds changes the metal some and invites a new place to break.
    Be sure to get the advice of a pro.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Cool Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Don't hold me to the wall here but I read somewhere not to do vertical welds on a frame especially in an area of high stress.
    Vertical welds will ALWAYS break because the stress is pulling across the the width of the bead instead of dispersing along the length.

Good luck.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Quote Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
    Vertical welds will ALWAYS break because the stress is pulling across the the width of the bead instead of dispersing along the length.
    Interesting. Would seem odd (to this newbie type) to leave ends of fish plate bare. Could you put a couple of plug welds near each edge, iinstead?

And, someone above had suggested a step cut. Are you saying the verticals there can't be welded?

Default Atrorm

No vertical welds. They ALWAYS crack.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Quote Originally Posted by triggerman View Post

Good luck.

Ahhh yes, tension vs. shear

For Aircraft we use a 30 degree angle for all splices, along with a doubler inside, or a sleeve outside of the tube, also with the ends cut at 30 degrees if an external sleeve. Is this for on or off road use? Depending on the State, the local DOT may have regulations on this type of repair.

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Before you even attempt this, you may also want to check with an inspection station. This may not even be legal and the liability could also be a problem if you or somebody else would be involved in an accident.

Another tip, when a vehicle is made, the VIN number is stamped at least 10 different places on a vehicle so it or its parts can be traced when they are stolen. You may even need to apply for a reconstructed title.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC