Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Spot welder LMSW-52 with sheared bolt for handle... repair help

I have a Miller spot welder (model LMSW-52) and the bolt which you can tighten to put more or less pressure on the electrodes when you push down on the handle has bent and snapped in two, with "normal" use. Now that I no longer have a handle to open/close the electrodes... the spot welder cannot be used. I've contacted Miller and they say I can get a replacement bolt, nut, and pin (that holds the bolt in place) from a distributor. My problem is that I have not seen pins like this before, which seem to hold everything on this machine together. I don't know how to remove the pin holding the sheared bolt in place, or how I would insert a new pin if I buy one. I tried to just "hammer it through" with a steel rod thats slightly smaller diameter but I couldn't get it to budge. Any suggestions?

I've attached an image so you can see what I'm looking at here: SNC00120.jpg
    Last edited by karam; 01-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Looks like a roll pin....Put a little heat on the cast part to expand it....and use a pin punch that is the same size as the rollpin to drive it out.....A bucking bar or a hammer used on the opposite side will help your efforts when driving the pin out...Good Luck

You should not even have to heat it in fact I would not suggest doing that, you should be able to drive it out with a pin punch and a hammer.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Normal use - yeah right . It's a standard roll pin. Not a big deal to remove one, but it's best to use a roll pin punch instead of a standard punch. A roll pin punch has a small nub on the end to keep it centered.

This is a gunsmithing video, but principle is the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_k8OvjwAY
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    Normal use - yeah right . It's a standard roll pin. Not a big deal to remove one, but it's best to use a roll pin punch instead of a standard punch. A roll pin punch has a small nub on the end to keep it centered.

This is a gunsmithing video, but principle is the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_k8OvjwAY
    lol...glad i'm not the only one that got raised eyebrows over the "normal use". normal farm use....get a bigger hammer to close the handle. only roll pin i have ever encountered where i had a slight problem was where someone used a standard over sized punch to install it and peened the lip over the pin driving it to deep. easy fix was to drive it on through the other side then dress the bent edge of the hole.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Square the end of a piece of pipe(just large enough to let the pin fall though) or a bushing and use it to back up the down side of the handle. Place the pipe in a good solid vice and drive the pin into the pipe or better still use an arbor press. The handle looks like aluminum and if you heat it , it may weaken enough to break when you strike it in it's hot condition
    Take care,
    Meltedmetal.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Square the end of a piece of pipe(just large enough to let the pin fall though) or a bushing and use it to back up the down side of the handle. Place the pipe in a good solid vice and drive the pin into the pipe or better still use an arbor press. The handle looks like aluminum and if you heat it , it may weaken enough to break when you strike it in it's hot condition
    Take care,
    Meltedmetal.
    I'm sure they figured it out as that thread is almost 2 years old.

Right you are--I didn't look at the date. Now the question is why did it come up in at the top of the list on my computer with the rest of today's posts?? Internet demons??
    Meltedmetal