Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wall Mount Receiver Hitch

I made this for a buddy to hang in his garage. It is to store his receiver-mounted bicycle carrier in the summer, and put the bikes up on the wall in the winter.

5/16" plate for base, 1/8" for brackets, 6" weld-on receiver from farm supply store.
    Last edited by spotsineyes; 01-20-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Looks good. I never thought of storing bikes like that.

For what its worth, receiver tube sells by the foot at most steel yards. Might make the project cheaper next time around.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

It was less than $10.
    Edit: That didn't sound right, I had to look it up. Sure enough, $9.99

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ceiver%26p%3d1
    Last edited by spotsineyes; 01-21-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Roy,

Actually, that receiver shown probably came from Harbor Freight. They sell the tubing in 12", 18", and 25" lengths. If I remember correctly, the 12" was only about $8.00 on sale (which they always are).

My steel supplier will not sell receiver tube by the foot, so a full stick gets pretty pricy for a small job.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Good job but inna future your East West holes don't need to be there since they ain't gonna hit a Stud
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default hmm

my steel supplier sells the receiver tube by the foot and i think it was close 11 something a foot last time i got some glad i didn't use much

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Good job but inna future your East West holes don't need to be there since they ain't gonna hit a Stud
    I'm glad you brought that up. The guy I made it for dry walled the garage himself and insists that there are horizontal studs where the sheets meet. The sheets are installed horizontally. I made it like that and told him that if the height that he choses to mount it does not meet these horizontal studs, there should be plenty of support. With those ears on the side against the dry wall, the mount should not sway left to right with the carrier mounted.
    Do you guys think there will be much tendency for the carrier to want to swing left and right with the weight of the bikes on it? The carrier is the type with a pin and hinge in it. It is designed to swing down to allow the tailgate to open. He figures to mount the receiver at about six feet up. The horizontal seam of the drywall is about there because of the concrete knee walls. He is worried that when he mounts the bikes and swings them up into position, there will be a side load.

Default hmm

its gonna have side load since the carrier is much wider than the base if he lags the top and bottom in he will have to test and see if it need more support he can install a couple fire blocks for more support

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    I'm glad you brought that up. The guy I made it for dry walled the garage himself and insists that there are horizontal studs where the sheets meet. The sheets are installed horizontally. I made it like that and told him that if the height that he choses to mount it does not meet these horizontal studs, there should be plenty of support. With those ears on the side against the dry wall, the mount should not sway left to right with the carrier mounted.
    Do you guys think there will be much tendency for the carrier to want to swing left and right with the weight of the bikes on it? The carrier is the type with a pin and hinge in it. It is designed to swing down to allow the tailgate to open. He figures to mount the receiver at about six feet up. The horizontal seam of the drywall is about there because of the concrete knee walls. He is worried that when he mounts the bikes and swings them up into position, there will be a side load.
    Well if he can hit wood with a lag Screw N, S, E & W he can probably hang his car from it.

Looks like you have at least 3 holes up the center- using just those he'll be fine anyway.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus