Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

thats what they get for using a material with no ultimate yield strenth.....

i would imagine fatigue over the years, like said above can only put 2 horses in a 2 horse trailer and 2 of my horses wiegh more than you can cram hay in it.

most of the newer higher end aluminum trailers use a steel tounge.

my 4star has a steel tounge thats huckbolted to the aluminum part of the trailer.

i had a featherlight gooseneck stock trailer break off right above the coupler and smash the back of the cab of my truck when i got in an accendent it stopped 6" behind my head in a crewcab truck. ill never own a featherlight again my 4star is 10x the trailer that one was.
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

i had to do some repairs to my cattle trailer because this guy at the stock yard that i go to broke one of my doors .
    the floor is goin out in it too.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    thats what they get for using a material with no ultimate yield strenth.....

i would imagine fatigue over the years, like said above can only put 2 horses in a 2 horse trailer and 2 of my horses wiegh more than you can cram hay in it.

most of the newer higher end aluminum trailers use a steel tounge.

my 4star has a steel tounge thats huckbolted to the aluminum part of the trailer.

i had a featherlight gooseneck stock trailer break off right above the coupler and smash the back of the cab of my truck when i got in an accendent it stopped 6" behind my head in a crewcab truck. ill never own a featherlight again my 4star is 10x the trailer that one was.
    Exactly my thought, I wouldn't think aluminum would be very well suited to high stress application over extended periods of time. It will look fine and then out of the blue, snap! With steel at least you should see some stress indicators or have it bend first.

Reminds me of my friends mountain bike, landed a 5 foot drop to flat and the frame peeled clean in half about an inch down from the headtube. Personal experience has shown me that Alum. doesn't like high stress applications like that, which is why things like handlebars get replaced every season even if they still look good.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Default I'm not an engineer but....

.... it's obvious the guy that designed the trailer wasn't either. To fail like it did is an obvious design flaw and the company will be lucky if some lawyer doesn't bankrupt them because of it.
    Jim

Default Horse trailor hitch

I would take the whole front hitch part off take some steel stock and go under the trailor if possible and bolt to the exsisting frame if it is AL if not weld to steel if there and fabricate a new stronger hitch system...if not "TIG on dude" DanQweld

what are the chances that the person that was driving doesnt know how to back up with a trailer on?
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    what are the chances that the person that was driving doesnt know how to back up with a trailer on?
    Perrrty good. I see a lot of trailer tongue repair that was caused by jack knifing backing up. watch the antics around a boat launch ramp some time.

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Perrrty good. I see a lot of trailer tongue repair that was caused by jack knifing backing up. watch the antics around a boat launch ramp some time.
    i saw a guy put his trailer up on a dock trying to splash his unit. it was pretty interesting.
    Jake

its amazing how many people have trailors and cant back them. i started with motorcycle trailors at the races when i was about 10, so its 2nd nature to me. funny to watch people go back and forth.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

Got it welded today. I used some 3x3x1/4 alum angle to run back 5 crossmembers and welded it all in. Then i plated the outside of the tongue. It was amazing the overheads ran great considering the trailer is covered in Ohio salt. I just buffed off where i was going to weld where i could. I only have 2 pics because my battery went dead...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48