Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Alum horse trailer tongue broke.

Here is my job for Weds, repair this alum horse trailer tongue. I ordered some alum angle and some plates to beef it up. I don't think the trailer was overloaded i mean how many horses can you fit in a 2 horse trailer. So i will post some more pics when done...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

could have been filled with hay ?? no telling what was in it ?? overloaded is always a possibility.
    good luck on the rebuild.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

Right now the trailer is filled with hamburger buns clear to the roof. Like 1,000 packs of them. Everything looks like a fresh break but there could have been stress cracks from years ago...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Talking

HMMM,horse trailer...hamburger buns ..don`t like the sound of that!

That is exactly what I was thinking.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Is there a McDonalds in the vicinity or a funny looking guy with big feet in a red suit ?
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

eeek - that is scary once you think about it

Be sure to post pictures of the fix.

I remember quite a few years ago a friend built a small trailer to pull behind his mini-van to haul a bunch of paintball gun gear for tournaments. Another friend of mine and myself questioned his choice of used boat trailer axles (not to mention the crappy way everything was glued together). He said it would be alright, only going to haul a few hundred pounds of gear.
    Well, the dang thing wasnt even painted before he went to pick up a bunch of patio block someone was getting rid of - you know just a 1000lbs or so. He made it about 2 miles before the axle broke. Its still sitting in his yard, 12 years later....

Default alum. repair

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Here is my job for Weds, repair this alum horse trailer tongue. I ordered some alum angle and some plates to beef it up. I don't think the trailer was overloaded i mean how many horses can you fit in a 2 horse trailer. So i will post some more pics when done...Bob
    Well it looks like someone else gets the same kind of work that I do. This is where the real world of welding begins. Out of the ideal conditions and into the aged, seperated, and deteriated world of metal repair. It's easy to relate to jobs such as these especially when some brings an aluminum roll back that has had the frame split and covered in grease to where a power cleaner couldn't even cut the grease and then you have to try to bring the broken pieces back together. Good luck from another Buckeye welder.

Thumbs up

the hamburger bun's make my point. could be using it to pick up pig food. that could be barrels of liquids one day bun's the next, i would not count on the wait restriction being looked at too closely.
    looking forward to the repair pic's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

What a POS! At first glance I thought rectangular tubing had failed, then
    looked at the photos a little closer....who the &%#$ builds a tongue
    like that?
    At least you don't have 2 dead horses and some unlucky other dead
    drivers/passengers. Hope whoever built that has good liability insurance if
    they were dumb enough to make more then one of em.
    Dave P.