Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Plasma cutting pointer

Hello all, I wanted to get a couple of pointers for making cuts with my plasma (spectrum 625). I was making cuts in some 12 ga. mild steel (using a guide) and I kept getting this "sticking" feel, but I'm dragging as smooth as I possibly can. The cut turns out like crap (for plasma) and it requires too much grinding to clean up! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I use a stand off for most cuts. The cuts are cleaner and the tips last much longer.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default Plasma tips

Remember: If the sparks are shooting straight down, you're moving the torch too slowly. If the sparks bounce back, you're moving too fast. You will be hard pressed to cut 12ga too fast. The sparks should come out of the bottom at approximately a 15 degree angle. Good luck.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

what is available for stand off other than the roller guide?

i just bought a drag tip setup but it doesn't provide any stand off like i thought it did, what's the point ?

My Thermal Dynamics came with one, I assumed they all did.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

well you could use a roller guide but they make some thing akward. or just hold it by hand a bit above the metal thats what y buddy does of course sometimes we have to do some grinding to touch up stuff but hey it works.

Default Door Chart ?

On my mig welders there's a door chart that tells you how many amps to use for the thickness you're welding.
    Is there a chart somewhere that tells you how many amps to use to cut the thickness of metal you're cutting with plasma ?

Use a guide for cutting straight, piece of 1/8"x1" hot rolled is fine. Clamp it in place then run a piece of soapstone back and forth across it. The soapstone lubricates the drag tip and lets it glide across the cut. Also, a light touch is required.
    Laiky, what kind of machine do you have?

Spectrum 375

a light tuch and proper speed dose the most to keep it on track and cutting nice. i use a wire brush on my tip inbetween cuts to keep it clean, that might help with it sticking. lots of slag means too slow of a cut speed usualy. takes a little getting used to to learn the best speed for the matereal. after that its all good.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES