Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backyard Frame Work.

I have a 1993 diesel dodge dually. When my uncle owned it the right rear axle popped out, the frame hit the ground. Now the frame is bent up and a little in it really wears the tires down! I don't have the money too take it in to dodge house and let them fix it and I don't have the money for a new truck.

The frame is bent just in front (cab side) of the shock and spring hanger. This is why it is out of alignment and chewing up tires and I can't get it fixed till I fix the frame.

I'm thinking I want too use some BIG I-beam, C-clamps, Binders, comealong, Chain fall, engine hoist, and whatever it takes too straighten this thing out. At the end of the frame rails it is only out of place by 2".

So I drop the fuel tank, rear end, all electrical, and strip anything I can think of that might get destroyed. On the side that is in good condition I place my I-beam on the frame and weld big plates from the top of the "I" to the bottom of the "I", This will give me my JIG.

I place my JIG in the side to be repaired and use as little heat as possible while my helper uses our beam wrench to push the frame back into place, Then the JIG will hold it and it will cool naturally.

I know this is not a permanent fix. I know this is not a factory perfect fix. I only need this truck to run until mid June and I can fix it right.

So what do y'all think? Sound like a good plan? Did I miss anything? Do you know of a better way?
    Last edited by kandrwelding; 01-14-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    Just cause I ain't old don't mean I ain't old school.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
    -Gen. George Smith Patton, Jr-

If you don't like the sparks and flame you can always be a desk jocky pencil pusher.

You soul better belong to jesus because your @$$ belongs to me.
    -MEGADETH
    -

The dealer isn't the only option for frame repairs to a nearly twenty year old vehicle. I'd call around to shops that do this sort of repair and get some quotes before I dove in with big beams and jigs. Find a place that'll work with you and strip from the vehicle what they say is in the way, then trailer or wrecker it to 'em and $500 or less later you're ready to put it back together fixed.

If cost turned out to be prohibitive I'd consider leaving the bent frame bent and simply building custom leaf spring mounts to return wheel alignment

2" out is a lot and besides wasting tires the thing is probably pretty unsafe.. a panic stop.. on a wet road.. maybe in a turn?
    Crashing, casualties, lawsuits.. can really upset the flow of one's day..
    Mike

WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Yea it is pretty bad in any weather if you panic stop it will **** near make a right turn for you.

Getting a non dealer shop is (like so many other things not in my budget) but I will take another look at it and think about fabbing up a new hanger.

Thanks for the 2nd point of view.
    Just cause I ain't old don't mean I ain't old school.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
    -Gen. George Smith Patton, Jr-

If you don't like the sparks and flame you can always be a desk jocky pencil pusher.

You soul better belong to jesus because your @$$ belongs to me.
    -MEGADETH
    -

How about finding another truck with a blown engine, etc, etc. You could probably pick up a complete non-running truck for a few hundred.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Salvage Yards are your friend.
    Craigslist can be helpfull, people parting out trucks.
    Little bit of money and a lot of labor is sometimes worth it.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Default Mechanix Gloves

while working on frame of vehicle you must have to wear mechanix gloves. that will escape you from any injury during work. that's what i want to say and now it will be upon to you how will you handle this.

You could also do what a lot of guys do with semis that want to change out their rears especially if changing the Mfg or the weight of the rears. Buy a rear frame clip from the boneyard and do a frame graft. Just be sure to sleeve it on the inside and fish plate on the outside.

Perhaps you could get a few of your root beer drinking buddies to come and help you and you could polish the job off in a weekend and a few 12 packs of rootbeer then when the job is done break out the budweiser.

This is what I'd do if it were my truck and I've done it before on both pickups and semi tractors that I've owned in the past.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Thumbs up Safetywear

Quote Originally Posted by safetywear View Post
    while working on frame of vehicle you must have to wear mechanix gloves. that will escape you from any injury during work. that's what i want to say and now it will be upon to you how will you handle this.
    Yes by ALL MEANS wear those Mechanix Gloves, they will escape you from any injury during work. Even if the truck somehow slips off the jack stands, and lands on your head with it's full weight, you will escape any injury as long as you wear those gloves. If you get soaked in gasoline AND the fuel tank explodes, you will escape any injury, so long as you have those gloves on. I wonder if they make them in BODY GLOVE sizes too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    You could also do what a lot of guys do with semis that want to change out their rears especially if changing the Mfg or the weight of the rears. Buy a rear frame clip from the boneyard and do a frame graft. Just be sure to sleeve it on the inside and fish plate on the outside.

Perhaps you could get a few of your root beer drinking buddies to come and help you and you could polish the job off in a weekend and a few 12 packs of rootbeer then when the job is done break out the budweiser.

This is what I'd do if it were my truck and I've done it before on both pickups and semi tractors that I've owned in the past.

If only you being able to wear the gloves when appropriately designed, realized you this thread being one and one half years older happened.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Yes by ALL MEANS wear those Mechanix Gloves, they will escape you from any injury during work. Even if the truck somehow slips off the jack stands, and lands on your head with it's full weight, you will escape any injury as long as you wear those gloves. If you get soaked in gasoline AND the fuel tank explodes, you will escape any injury, so long as you have those gloves on. I wonder if they make them in BODY GLOVE sizes too ?
    Safetywear is a spammer- that is why his post sounds pretty stooopid.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus