Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default newb question-weld stainless to aluminized exhaust?

Hi All,
    New here but have been reading for a long time, thanks for all I have already learned, but I got a question I need help with.

I am getting ready to fab up the exhaust on my project car. I plan on using aluminized pipe for the majority of the project. I am grinding off the coating for the weld area. I have no problem migging the thin metal, I have done 80% of all of my other welding on sheetmetal. I am running 75/25 on a mig welder .23 wire - all there is good.

The question I have is this: There is a section of stainless I need to attach the pipes to. Can I weld the stainless to the aluminized pipe using my mig and 75/25 mix? Or do I really need to get stainless wire and tri mix? The expense for that is a bit prohibitive for making only two welds.

Will the stainless weld okay to the aluminized using 75/25 or maybe even flux core or am I asking for trouble?

If the only problem will be that the weld will be susceptible to rust, I can live with that. I can use VHT exhaust paint or something else to treat the area. (the welds in the aluminized sections need to be coated anyway)

Thanks for any input

see if you can get a small spool of 309L ss dual sheild wire. your 75/25 should work ok. some wires will recomend CO2 but for what your doing I don't think you'll have any problems.

Thanks sg I will look into that. So that is a stainless wire. So I can run stainless wire and the 75/25 to joint he two with no problems? thanks again

Default Portable Welder

The pipe that yor welding is steel pipe with a coating and your welding it to stainless.

I say just weld it with your ER70-S6 wire.

309L dual sheild is a flux cored wire that also requires gas sheilding, but portable is probably correct, your er70s should hold fine for what you doing.

Many thanks for the replies, I will give it a go.

Before you thank someone, check up on the prices.

ESAB Shield-Bright flux core gas shielded 309 can run $20/lbs....

If you want to buy a 33# roll (not even sure you can buy smaller) its like $600!

What's a TIG welder on Craigslist go for?
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

I found this with Google but is still expensive:
    http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...ml?id=vZ7yjfSy

I would be tempted to weld it with regular MIG wire for mild steel.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Looking at those prices, I think i will give it a try with the ER70-S6.... I like the comment about picking up a used TIG welder! Maybe sometime, when I've got the cash....

Don't out think or out spend your self. Weld it with your currant set up and don't worry about it. I wouldn't even worry about grinding off the coating. I don't know what type of SS it is but most likely 409 or 304.