Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
    Very difficult to open root with stainless smaw. Especially 6G. TIG is a much better (and common) choice for open root ss.
    So are you saying completely different technique from a 6010 root pass?

Quote Originally Posted by iran8gold View Post
    So are you saying completely different technique from a 6010 root pass?
    Yes

Default iran8gold

what atc250r is saying is not a different technique but a different process.
    root and hot pass tig with purge and then stick to finish

old but new

Thumbs up

Thanks to you all really.... I got the settings with amps and 3/32 and once i got the feel on some practice pieces i was able to get it done rather well. I agree with Sundown 100% would have been alot better with MIG. I ran a series of root passes with a Lincoln Red Baron 3/32 rod. Guys if youve never used these TRY THEM they make life so much better and very little slag to deal with. Then i capped using a series of stacking weaves it came out great. Ill try to get pictures up soon. Thank you all again and the amp advice helped big time....Cheers to you all..

Default For 309 rod what is the best polarity?

I bought some scrap stainless to refine my technique and tried with both positive and negative electrode. The positive almost seemed better. Am I going the right direction? Also I read the heat is about the same as 6010 and that seemed to work well. Any particulars to help? So far I am using 3/32 but have some 1/8 to work with also

Certanium makes a great fast freeze stick rod for smaw welding out of position. Only problem with them is the cost and they are not certified for code work.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding