Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My word! You can sure make this stuff more complicated than necessary. I am not a rig or pipeline or super talented nuclear process plant welder, but I do know how to build fence. Pull a heavy string line to set your post as you want them. If it's a long straight stretch, set every forth or fifth post and eyeball them against the string. When you have those set, go back and fill in with the remainder of post. Reason being, the post already set will help keep the wind or grass from throwing your line off. Now that your post are set, measure up the post and make a mark at the height your wanting. Tie your string to the first post at that height, and pull to last post. Take thin wire, electrical tape or string and twitch the string line up every other post or so at the marked level your shooting for. Step back and look at it from different places to see where to adjust to make the fence FLOW. If you follow the height from the ground on each post it's going to look like a drunk snake. Or you can try the transit level, but I have built fence on very few completely flat places. Hope this helps. Not trying to get anybodies dander up here, just actually have done this steadily for the last 20 years.

Fuzzy, that is close to what I told him on WW. That is the way to do it and have it flow....meaning look right.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Default Thanks fuzzy

thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZYTX View Post
    My word! You can sure make this stuff more complicated than necessary. I am not a rig or pipeline or super talented nuclear process plant welder, but I do know how to build fence. Pull a heavy string line to set your post as you want them. If it's a long straight stretch, set every forth or fifth post and eyeball them against the string. When you have those set, go back and fill in with the remainder of post. Reason being, the post already set will help keep the wind or grass from throwing your line off. Now that your post are set, measure up the post and make a mark at the height your wanting. Tie your string to the first post at that height, and pull to last post. Take thin wire, electrical tape or string and twitch the string line up every other post or so at the marked level your shooting for. Step back and look at it from different places to see where to adjust to make the fence FLOW. If you follow the height from the ground on each post it's going to look like a drunk snake. Or you can try the transit level, but I have built fence on very few completely flat places. Hope this helps. Not trying to get anybodies dander up here, just actually have done this steadily for the last 20 years.
    Fuzzy, you know how to build a Texas fence. If you showed up on a west coast fence job as a foreman with string even in your boots you wouldn't be let out of the truck. LOL

Seriously, if you took the time to lay out string a real fenceman would already be setting posts that didn't need to be trimmed for height.

Think about it. How do you check your string job? You sight it. We just skip the string because it takes too much time.

As for the laser stuff. I have the Hilti laser that does all the trick stuff, love it for construction, barns, houses, etc. It never comes off the truck for fences except for building tall overheads etc.

I've been in Texas for over twenty five years and still get a kick out of the string and wire methods for fencing.

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZYTX View Post
    My word! You can sure make this stuff more complicated than necessary. Step back and look at it from different places to see where to adjust to make the fence FLOW. If you follow the height from the ground on each post it's going to look like a drunk snake. Or you can try the transit level, but I have built fence on very few completely flat places. Hope this helps. Not trying to get anybodies dander up here, just actually have done this steadily for the last 20 years.
    Nope, not trying to complicate matters. If you've ever been for a drive on US 93 between Kingman, Az and Phoenix (actually to Wickenburg) you'll see about 125 miles of "drunken snake" wire fence protecting open range. One has to excercise some creedance and judgement when establishing the "FLOW" you referred to. I'm sure you've built many a box culvert or wing wall drainage basin fence, with drastic grade percentage differences, and in the case of the OP's question, he has 250' of driveway. Whether that's 125' each side, or a total of 250' one side is a moot point. If you read my previous post, I suggested Mason's string line and a torpedo level "will suffice." If one doesn't have access to precision instruments, then they resort to "Plan-B," the next best way. I guarantee, I can layout an octagon patio, with a transit level, have it formed, and ready to pour, while your still trying to figure how an 8-sided polygon has 135 degree angles. To keep this within the scope of "Welding Projects," I'll make the Gazebo out of 304 Stainless.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 01-13-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default hmm

you guys are funny there's many ways to achieve the same objective if you've got a bad arse laser by all means use if knot do it the way its been done since ancient times with strings bobs and levels and the good old eye

Talking

Well, once again I will have to bow to superior intellect from people outside of Texas. Y'ALL will have to accept my apology for stating my ignorance and slow witted approach to the way we build things down here.**** I am not even sure that octagons are legal here, something bout being too many sides.
    I cannot wait till he asks how the best way to saddle pipe. I am sure he will probably have to go with a 3-axis water-jet.LOL
    Best regards from the Great State of Texas!
    Fuzzytx

octagons are fine i think it the nonagon ya need a permit for

Fellers

I sure do appreciate all the good information on building a pipe fence. If it was up to me I would just build a bow darc post with barb wire, but I'm afraid my wife would kill all my coon hounds if I don't put her up a pipe fence.

Thanks ya'll.

Harve wrote a nice how to tutorial, where is it? Hobart or SFT? I wish I would have marked and saved it. If I had to build a fence tomorrow I would take a few minutes to look it up and see just how the old timer pro here does it.