Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default New Here Pipe fence ?

I am going to build a pipe fence up my driveway about 250' feet 2 3/8 pipe with four runs of 1'' pipe no top rail the only thing like that I have ever built is a few coners and a brace or two . How do I keep the tops of the pipe post straight without that top rail. thanks

Since you're new, I get to pick on you: I have never heard of 2-3/8" pipe.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Since you're new, I get to pick on you: I have never heard of 2-3/8" pipe.
    "I have never heard of 2-3/8" pipe." LOL

Default Pipe or Tube?

Just to help you out, tube is usually measured by the OD. Pipe is often from average or agreed upon ID. 2 3/8" OD "pipe" could be 2" sc 40, etc.... 2 3/8" tube is 2 3/8" OD and the wall thickness is usually in hundredths. 2 3/8" tube with a wall of .110 or .120 is common. Take my word for it that 2" or2 3/8" tube with a wall of .062 or.083 dents easily. This is what the green mass produced livestock fences are made out of. 1" tube with a wall of .120 is also common.
    Good Luck with the fence.
    Last edited by deafman; 01-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    at home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP
    2013 spoolrunner 100 spool gun

Default drill stem . Tubing or pipe I don't know?

My question is how do I keep the tops of the pipe,tubing, or drill pipe at the same higth? Do I run a string at the top or use a mesuring stick mark the pipe before I place it in the ground ? The pipe is 2 3/8 drill pipe cut on 8'. thanks

2 3/8" (oil-field)tubing has several classifications some of it is NUE (non upset ending) as in no upset at the threads, EUE (external upset ending) is flared at the ends prior to threading. The OD of 2 3/8 tubing is the same as 2" pipe and can be threaded with 2" dies.. the main difference with oil field tubing is the chrome molly content.. hit it with a hammer and hear it sing.. Welding can be tricky too as most used tubing is magnetized..

To answer your question on keeping things straight use a string line or laser to cut off the tops after the cement has dried..
    Last edited by Pass-N-Gas; 01-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for that very good reply . Like I said I am new to this thanks.

You can do it the way fencemen do it.

I saddle all my posts first and then set them for height and line by eye.

http://www.harveylacey.com/id27.htm

Default "Straight Line"

Quote Originally Posted by Txcoonhunter View Post
    My question is how do I keep the tops of the pipe,tubing, or drill pipe at the same higth? Do I run a string at the top or use a mesuring stick mark the pipe before I place it in the ground ? The pipe is 2 3/8 drill pipe cut on 8'. thanks
    If you know someone who owns an optical transit level, it makes things much easier. Not only can you keep the tops level, you can set the posts in a straight line, so it doesn't look like an accordian when you're done.

If not, Mason's string line and a magnetic "torpedo" level will suffice. You can also take some re-bar, and bend a couple of pieces into a long "S" and hang from the 1" laterals for uniform spacing. Similar to when elecrtricians used a "story board" before the advent of laser levels, when placing outlet boxes on studs.

David
    Last edited by davedarragh; 01-09-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default Thanks Harvey & Dave

Thanks for your knowledge and your willingness to share it with a newbee thanks