Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Club Trophy

Default Club Trophy

Made a trail bike club trophy.
    Started with a lump of black granite and ended by TIG welding the aluminium base.
    Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

How did that granet cut on your chop saw? I have some scraps from a remodel and I was thinking of adding it to the side "shelves" of my grill

Hi Bigtow,
    Yes well I purchased the correct blade but it just did more damage than good. I then purchased a diamond tile saw blade for my 4 " angle grinder and it cut it like butter. The key to getting a good result is to clamp it rigidly as any vibration will make the granite crack and fall apart. Same when drilling full support is required or the drill will blow out the back.
    Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Gotta love absolute black granite. My sister just did her whole kitchen in 3cm. Cool trophy! I like the rim around the granite, very nice touch.

Cutting granite by hand works with a diamond wheel on your grinder, spraying a small stream of water makes it not chip. Drilling it, you should use diamond bits with a little water too. You can get them pretty cheap from Home Depot.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 06-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.