Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrd View Post
    Yes that whole piece does spin-off but you do want the bigger holes at the end of your slot to ease installing and removing the clamp.
    Perfect. We will have a 1/32 gap the whole way around on the slots, and we will put larger holes at the end, also with a 1/32 gap the whole way around.

You all have been extremely helpful. Any other ideas before we start hunting down metal? Specifically, are there any areas you see that may limit future expandability? (We're working on thicker legs per several suggestions).

ASME@USF

I probably would have put the jack bolts centered directly under the legs, and put the casters on the cantilever. The reasoning is the jack bolts are going to get used with the table loaded, and you're hammering around on things. The casters are going to get used to move an unloaded table across the room.
    You can drill and tap the 1/2" material at the bottom of the tube and then insert the jack bolts up from the bottom. If you don't feel like tapping, just tack weld a nut on (it'll be in compression so you can just tack it) Also use a jamb nut to avoid the jack bolts moving after you have your table leveled.

When I built my table I wanted a massive top piece. After seeing the price I dropped back to a 1/2" piece, but I compensated by having a very rigid frame underneath. I used 1/2" x 6" flat stock turned up on edge to make a rectangular box. Then add cross bracing, and *diagonal* cross bracing. The diagonals will make the table very resistant to twist. The 6" depth of the box makes it very strong. The 1/2" table top isn't the strength of the table, basically it only has to be strong enough to support over the gaps in the frame. Ideally I should have plated over the bottom side of the box to make it really rigid, but that would have been near impossible to weld up. Take a look at some of the box designs on cast iron surface plates.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-04-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I probably would have put the jack bolts centered directly under the legs, and put the casters on the cantilever.
    Very good idea. We actually had one of the guys on the team mention that, and are working on changing the model. Thanks for the input. Sounds like you have one heck of a table on your hands!

ASME@USF

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks. We saw that and looked it over. Does anyone have any thoughts on the cutting section and tray? I guess that's for plasma cutting? Is it necessary? We don't have one right now, but are hoping to get one in the next 12-18 months.

ASME@USF

I built mine based off of those plans and I did not include the cutting section. At the time I only had a Lincoln SP135 Plus- similar to the Miller 140 you'll be using.

The top is actually 2 pieces of 3'x3' x 3/8"

One thing that I did incorporate was the 2" Receiver tube so that I could mount various tools.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Namasco is a supplier in your area, they might give a student/school break on materials. I delivered a lot of steel to em in the last few years. they have a large selection of sizes and grades. They will defibately have what you are looking for, probably in stock too. Hope this helps with the project.
    Bob

Hi All,

I want to thank everyone who gave us suggestions, and please keep them coming!

I made a sketch with the X-clamp dimensions in it, as given to us through this forum. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone in the future, any shop should be able to make the cut for you with these.

X-Clamp_Cutout.pdf

Cheers
    ASME@USF

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
    Namasco is a supplier in your area, they might give a student/school break on materials.
    Great lead, thanks! Just emailed them with our sponsor packet, and will follow up with phone call in a couple of days.

ASME@USF

check alro metals on 49th st in clearwater (727) 572-4344
    they have alot of drops and scrap for half the price, you might be able to save alot of money on the frame by using the scraps and put that savings into a thicker top