Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default First Project - Work Tables

Hi All,

We are a student organization, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, at the University of South Florida. We will be receiving a Miller 140 MIG this week. Our first projects will be to construct two work tables, one a large conference like welding/general use table, and the other a cutting and tool station.

The plans can be found attached. The conference table PDF is too large, so one is PDF, and both are in the .zip file.

Our general questions are, what is everyones overall thoughts on the designs? Also, the top is 3/8" thick, and the legs are 1/8" wall 2x2 square tubing. What are good settings for the welder to weld this differential thickness joint? Shield gas will be 75/25, and I think the wire is .035".

According to our analysis, the projects can support significant loading, limitations are included in the drawings.

This will be our first welding project, so any advice is greatly appreciated. We have not started this project yet, so there is still time to make design changes.

Thank you,
    ASME @ USF
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll let some more senior members chime in, but I like the overall plans. You might want to look at the Miller workstation table for some ideas. A few others here have used concepts in it in there tables. They have a nice x pattern cut out in the worktop which makes it easy to clamp materials to the worktop. Good luck. There are a lot of smart guys here who can provide some good guidance.

Cheers,
    Chibrew

Thanks for such a quick response. The larger general use/welding table has an X pattern cut into it. For some reason the forum says the PDF is too large to upload on its own, so that one is included in the .zip file.

Thanks again, looking forward to hearing from others.

ASME@USF

Build & weld the table frames first, then when that is done place the tops on & stitch weld them only. Maybe 1" of weld every 12". If you weld it to much the top plate will pull downward on the perimeter.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

When ordering the top plates specify that you want it flat & don't be afraid to reject them if they come in warped. I would also make the tops 1/2" thick. What is the 1" flat bar that runs around the tubes for? If it is for hanging grinders & stuff I would drop it down 2" more so the opening is bigger.
    Last edited by MMW; 01-02-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Great, we never would have thought of that.

Does anyone have the template, or specs, for the X cuts? I think are slot is a bit too narrow, and I think there is a larger hole at the end of the X to get the clamps in?

Thanks for such quick replies.

ASME@USF

On the conference table the swivel caster can't rotate all the way around as it will hit the jack bolt. Once it is done don't be afraid to put holes in as you need them in the future.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    When ordering the top plates specify that you want it flat & don't be afraid to reject them if they come in warped. I would also make the tops 1/2" thick. What is the 1" flat bar that runs around the tubes for? If it is for hanging grinders & stuff I would drop it down 2" more so the opening is bigger.
    It absolutely is for hanging things - thanks for the insider info, I already adjusted the models.

Also, wouldn't have thought plate so thick could come warped....we'll definitely check that out.

We'd LOVE to make it 1/2, and we're trying to get the supplier to give us a break as we're a student group, but 1/2 is a lot more expensive than 3/8.

Anyone know any suppliers in the Tampa Bay area willing to work with a student group? We race in a national electric car competition - great advertising potential.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    On the conference table the swivel caster can't rotate all the way around as it will hit the jack bolt. Once it is done don't be afraid to put holes in as you need them in the future.
    Good point. I was just thinking you needed enough for left/right, but if you change direction it has to switch. I guess I can make those bottom plates larger on that side and move them over some.

Does anyone have any idea on the settings? I see that the welder allows you to select metal thickness, but as one side is 1/8 and the other is 3/8 (or 1/2 if we could afford it...) which do I select? Also, is that a weld you would put a 45 degree bevel in for better penetration, or just butt them up against each other?

ASME@USF