Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

imm using a jackson journeyman eqc fixed shade 10 auto darkening hood love it its awesome.

Default Thank You!!

I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question. You have all given some good things to consider. I really appreciate your response.

Take care.
    earle

i have a Sellstrom29301-10 Super Slim helmet for a back up but used for 3 years strait dropped it ran it over and its still good. but now it seems to collect dust right now. i love the 3m speed glass helmets. about the half the weight of the old sellstrom one. good quality for a front flip but go to ur local welding store and see what they got and try some on.....!!!(very important)!!!
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    i love the 3m speed glass helmets. about the half the weight of the old sellstrom one. good quality for a front flip but go to ur local welding store and see what they got and try some on.....!!!(very important)!!!
    I agree it's a very good idea to try different ones on. Headgear can fit different from one brand to the next, as well as the weight and other dimensions. Have you thought much about wearing a respirator? Some helmets don't have clearance inside of them for respirators with the cartriges attached to the nose piece.
    weldckr also made some good points about using a helmet that has traditional sized lenses and the ablility use an auto darkening lense.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Get auto darkening for learning. Then pick what you want and what works for you.
    I personally use a Huntsman 411p with a Gold #12 lens. I can't stand auto darkening lenses I'm to set in my way's of flipping the hood down. And a $400 helmet doesn't turn me on either. If I screw up my Huntsman I can have a brand new one in about an hour and it won't have to wait till next payday or piss me off because I shelled out a gazillion dollars for a fancy painted hood that is now in pieces.
    Custom paint jobs belong at home or on the wall not at work.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

well it really depends on where you work in my weld shop at the plant, i have a fancy miller with the eagle and flag on it, beautiful helment and theres not much danger of destroying it in the mig and tig shop, since we dont do any hmw, we do al fab and steel fab mostly square tubing, round tubing, tac welding nuts to plates for the industrial fan stands, But heres something to think about i only wear my miller when no one is around or if i dont have alot to help weld ( i dont personally weld the stuff im starting welding school the 14th of this month but i help position parts while there being welded, and work side by side with the guy that does the welding) when we get into the thick of it and the sparks are flying for the whole 8 hours i find im strappin on my jackson journeyman eqc. It is a shade 10 auto darkening, and it darkens fast i havent once gotten flashed by the arc. I trust my eyes with the jackson, and alot of guys say there number one, but the miller does do a good job, I just dont want to look cocky with a fancy helment in the work place.

Default welding helmets

Hey earle, how you doing and welcome to this site.
    I agree with all the other post it depens on what works for you the best and something that you can AFFORD, I myself have a coouple of hoods(1) basic Huntsman #8 lens--yes this is a very lite colored lens and its not for everybody (2)Hornell speedglass utility autodarking#3-off-#10 welding,its very lite and yes after heavy welding all day your neck gets sore from flipping up and down so this is why I like the Hornell best. But like all the other guys have said use what works best for you and stick with it untill something better comes along,just my opinion hope this helps you in your search. I forgot the huntsman cost about $25.00-30.00 and the Hornell that I have is around $150-160
    Last edited by safetydave; 01-06-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by EdZep View Post
    Indiana Oxygen - IOC on Ebay
    Another vote for IOC. Great guys, honest, excellent pricing and FAST shipping.
    --Stephen