Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another press brake. Lots of pictures.

I needed a way other than Oxy/Acetylene and a vise to make a sharp bend in plate and strap for projects. A lot of press brake projects have been completed here and on other forums so I was able to roll the common design features into my own version. Also design was driven by what materials I had on hand, not necessarily by the best materials for the project. For example the bottom die I used is solid hex bar that I quite literally found out in the dirt on my property. I think it is part of an old tractor implement! I am by no means a professional fabricator but enjoy making my own tools and projects. Was recently laid off from my job of 10 years and I am now starting welding school in January. As always comments, suggestions, respectful critiques are welcome.

Did my initial design in Google Sketchup (love this program!)

Materials sized and cut, ready for assembly. Bottom plate is 3/8, as well as the top die. 5/8 inch bolts. Springs I bought from Ace Hardware for .60 a piece.

I drilled the bottom plate with a 19/32 drill bit (1/32 under 5/8), then ground a taper on the ends of the 5/8 bolts.

With the taper on the ends I tapped the bolts into place to enable me to make sure they were parallel and 90 degrees to the bottom plate.

Making sure bolts are 90 degrees to the bottom plate to allow smooth movement of the upper die.

With the bolts tapped into place and square I turned the plate over and tacked each bolt from the bottom, turned the plate back over and adjusted the bolts to square, turned the plate over, added another tack rinse repeat until I had three tacks on each bolt and then poured the heat on.

After welding the bolts from the bottom I then ground the weld down flat

With bolts in place and parallel, it was time to weld the guides onto the side of the top die.

Because of the size of my bottom die (1.25 Hex bar) the top die did not need to contact the bottom plate to complete a 90 degree bend on anything I was going to bed. The springs compress down to 1.5 so I added a 1.5 tube spacer underneath the guides that I was welding to the top die to set the correct height and then spaced the top die up with some scrap plate. I hope that makes sense.

Small tack welds to keep the guides in place before completing the weld

Completed weld on guide and top die

Because of the close fit of the guides on the bolts any misalignment during travel would cause the guides to bind on the bolts. So I hand filed angles on the openings of the guides to eliminate this. Worked great.

Tack welded the bottom dies into place. From my research on this board and others it was suggested the distance from contact point to contact point should be 8 times the thickness of the material you plan to bend. In my case plate so the two contact points are 2 inches apart.

Welded thick x 2 wide x6.75 long reinforcements on the bottom plate to prevent any bending of the bottom plate.

I also welded 3 wide thick flat bar perpendicular to the bottom plate to index the press brake when setting it on the press. I found that after welding the bottom die and the under-plate supports that I needed to give the bolts a little love with a hammer to get them back to parallel.

Welding a 1 I.D. tube on the top die to properly index the ram on to the die.

Press brake on my modified HF press brake.

Some completed bends. Happy with the results. 1/8 plate, 3/16 flat bar, and 3/8 inch flat bar.

Your work is really good but using that hex stock wasn't the best choice. I used some of that hex stock on my base and that edge is wearing down so on my next one I'll use round stock. If there is a way to add a stop for repetitive work, it makes alot easier and enjoyable to use.

Hey neighbor, looks like a really nice press and nice work. i need to build a new one or at least rework the one i built a couple of years ago to handle up to 15" wide 5/16". if you have teenage boys like i do good luck lol. my 16 yr old thought he could bend up some 8" by 1/2" plate. it handled it but did tweak the die slightly. it still works good but it just isn't right for my liking. sorry to hear about the job and good luck in school.....jim
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Really nice project and thanks alot for taking the time to make this into a tutorial. Alot of us really appreciate it! Happy New Year and good luck in school and on the job front.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Cool

Nice work and i like the little woodburner in your shop...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks for the comments guys.

JayO: I came to that same conclusion after my first test bend. The nice sharp edge where I had the flat bar placed wasnt so nice or sharp anymore! I took the top die off and rounded the length of the edge on both sides. I use a little cutting wax on the edge and it seems to have solved the problem!

jbmprods: Yeah we are practically neighbors! Thanks for the comments. No teenagers but I do have two boys (age 4 and 3) so my time is coming! Although they like to 'borrow' my nice tools and go dig in the mud.

strube1369 & aametalmaster: Thanks for the comments. I have spent a lot of time on here and learned alot decided to share my little world.

Jay