Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Ice Boat!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Smile Ice Boat!

    Had the Ice Boat out on the lake today! I built this last year, but to late in the season to get it tuned. A few more adjustments and she should Fly! Need a little more weight over the front skate and sharpen the rear skates. It has an Aluminum frame and Stainless steel skates, sail and rigging is off an old sunfish I use to have.

    on lake.jpg
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Troy, MI
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Nice looking ice boat. How do you keep from getting hung up on the rough ice?

    Don

    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Looks like nothin' but speed to me!
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Default skates

    Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Nice looking ice boat. How do you keep from getting hung up on the rough ice?

    Don
    The skates are on pivots with the weight toward the back, and the front edge of the skate is rounded, it just glides over rough ice and cracks. You do have to watch out for ice fishing holes though!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessehornberger View Post
    The skates are on pivots with the weight toward the back, and the front edge of the skate is rounded, it just glides over rough ice and cracks. You do have to watch out for ice fishing holes though!
    I was JUST thinking how NICE that would be to pull my ICE FISHING gear onto a few lakes!! There are a 'number' of Glacier Fed lakes that do NOT allow Vehicles, Quads and Sno-mobiles on em' and this thing would SURE be nice to take to some of these places as these lakes tend to be VERY windy.

    How much does it weigh? I would think that it could modified and substitute in place of my current sled that has to be pulled out 'manually' on that ice! Even if it didn't get going very fast, or the wind was in the wrong direction, at least it could be pulled MUCH easier than my 'flat-bottomed' fishing sled!

    Cheers,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Default sled vs skate

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeman View Post
    I was JUST thinking how NICE that would be to pull my ICE FISHING gear onto a few lakes!! There are a 'number' of Glacier Fed lakes that do NOT allow Vehicles, Quads and Sno-mobiles on em' and this thing would SURE be nice to take to some of these places as these lakes tend to be VERY windy.

    How much does it weigh? I would think that it could modified and substitute in place of my current sled that has to be pulled out 'manually' on that ice! Even if it didn't get going very fast, or the wind was in the wrong direction, at least it could be pulled MUCH easier than my 'flat-bottomed' fishing sled!

    Cheers,
    That is a great idea. It weighs about 150 lbs, and fits in the back of my pickup truck. Even with no wind it can be pushed very easy. The only down side I see is if there is deep snow on the lake. It only has about 6 in clearance under it.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Ever try a kite with that? Bet she would scoot behind my PL 19m Venom.

    Love that wide open area.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana, USA
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessehornberger View Post
    The skates are on pivots with the weight toward the back, and the front edge of the skate is rounded, it just glides over rough ice and cracks. You do have to watch out for ice fishing holes though!
    I've not seen iceboat runners on pivots. Does it have any effect on control when hiking?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Default Skates

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    I've not seen iceboat runners on pivots. Does it have any effect on control when hiking?
    All the Ice Boats I have seen have pivoting skates for gliding over the ice. My first attempt to make skates I had them mounted solid and I just dug into the ice, on my second attempt I put a pivot on them, but on the front side of the skate, this pushed the nose of the skate into the ice and stopped the boat, On my 3rd and final attempt I put the pivot on the back of the skate, and it glides effortlessly. You can push it with 2 fingers and it will move 10- 15 ft.

    As for hiking out, I donít really see how that is possible? You kind of have to sit in the seat behind the steering foot pedals. Plus I donít think I would feel conformable hiking out at 60 mph anyway
    You can get it up on 2 skates (the front and one side of the back) and that is pretty exciting!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana, USA
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessehornberger View Post
    All the Ice Boats I have seen have pivoting skates for gliding over the ice. My first attempt to make skates I had them mounted solid and I just dug into the ice, on my second attempt I put a pivot on them, but on the front side of the skate, this pushed the nose of the skate into the ice and stopped the boat, On my 3rd and final attempt I put the pivot on the back of the skate, and it glides effortlessly. You can push it with 2 fingers and it will move 10- 15 ft.

    As for hiking out, I donít really see how that is possible? You kind of have to sit in the seat behind the steering foot pedals. Plus I donít think I would feel conformable hiking out at 60 mph anyway
    You can get it up on 2 skates (the front and one side of the back) and that is pretty exciting!
    Okay, so the skates pivot up and down, not side to side?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 74

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.