Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Dirt Bike Bracket Pattern Making

Dirt bikes are constantly taking dirt samples.
    Every time they bite the dirt something gets bent.
    Most of the time it is number plate brackets.
    The owner dusts himself off and bends the bracket back to its original shape.
    After a few sessions fatigue tells the owner it is time to say hi to their local welder.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

When the bracket brakes it is always lost so it is difficult to know exactly what was there.
    If your lucky you will know someone with a similar model that does not mind you getting some dimensions of the original.

First I mark up the corners or edges.
    Then I place some photocopy paper over the top and just rub it with my fingers.
    Don't wash your hands as the dirt makes it easy to see all the edges and folds.
    Once there is a rough out line I start cutting the paper down to size.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Then I place the cut out over some more photocopy paper and trace all the edges and folds. I add in the turn down flanges and curved section.
    To draw the curved area I just use a washer.
    Once the drawing is complete I photocopy it and cut out the pattern.
    Fold down all the edges and place over the original bracket.
    If all has gone well "I hope" it should fit perfectly.
    There will be small differences when the folding starts but at this stage at least you have something to go off.

Very happy with the new pattern.
    The reason I don't use the original cut out is because I like to keep a pattern in the draw for next time.

Now the pattern can be glued to a steel plate for fabrication.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Life is a bit easier when you have a pattern and certainly faster when you don't have to think.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Fold on the dotted line.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

To make the double fold I needed to cut out the overlap.
    Then the last fold and hey presto ready for a test fit.
    Very happy.

Ready for the TIG.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it