Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default wire feeding off a bobcat

Hello i have a bobcat 225G been stick welding off it for yrs . got a great deal on a wc 115 and a 30a spool gun . okay i have been using it with no real issues. the welding supplier where i bought the bobcat is telling me that these machines don't have good cv qualities for mig processes and says i should get a tralblazer . okay the 302 is bad ass but i don't do alot of mobile work . also i have a mm251 (which I also use the 30a with ) and a dialarc in my shop where it is heated and has a/c . so i don't need the 302 . but truthfully do these bobcats weld good in cv mode or what ?
    millermatic 251
    30a spoolgun
    dialarc 250
    bobcat 225g plus (bought new @ age 17)
    wc 115a
    milwaukee 8 1/4 metal saw

If it is working good for what you need then why worry? He is only trying to sell you something.
    If you wanna be able to set your amps remotely, which you cannot do with that set-up anyway, then you need to get a machine with remote capability.
    Arc-wise it is good enuff for many folks. If you use it everyday then you may wish to upgrade.
    I would choose a stand alone power source instead and run it off of the Bobcat's generator. Like a MM211, a Passport Plus or an XMT/feeder style machine.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

CV wise, the 225G isn't so hot. They run very hot actually. Run a mean spray transfer or FC and DS easily, but short circuit MIG can be a pain. I could never get mine to run short circuit acceptably. I stayed with DS or FC mostly. Running it in CC gave me a tad more adjustment. I sold my 8VS to a guy with a Bobus250, newest version. It ran a great short circuit with the 8VS. Miller at least got that CV ironed out on the later models.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    If it is working good for what you need then why worry? He is only trying to sell you something.
    If you wanna be able to set your amps remotely, which you cannot do with that set-up anyway, then you need to get a machine with remote capability.
    Arc-wise it is good enuff for many folks. If you use it everyday then you may wish to upgrade.
    I would choose a stand alone power source instead and run it off of the Bobcat's generator. Like a MM211, a Passport Plus or an XMT/feeder style machine.
    I fully second all of that.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

I'm quite pleased with the performance of my "home made" wire feeder http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=42217 off my 225G Plus even though I've only run .035 ER70S-6 thru it so far with C-25. I've welded with it thru the full voltage and WFS ranges and as I said am very pleased with the combination.

However, I have yet to weld aluminum with the WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1 off the unit and plan on running some test welds in the near future.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

OK, I didn't want to wait any longer. This post is not meant to be a hi-jack but rather an example of a spoolgun welds off a Bobcat 225G Plus for the OP.

Went out and stole the argon tank off the 180 SD and hooked up the WS-1S/SM-1 to the Bobcat and ran a few "first time for the combo" test welds in aluminum on some scrap 1/4".

Fine Current Control - 10
    WFS - 6
    Argon - 25CFH
    Wire - .035, 4043

Equipment setup. Yes, that's a 14-pin receptacle on a Bobcat.
    WS-1S & SM-1 001.jpg

3-pass weld. The light/glare/shadow makes it look like undercut on the lower bead to the right of the dime but it isn't.
    WS-1S & SM-1 003.jpg

Another look at the same beads. No doubt needs improvement but bear in mind this was the first go with the WC-1S/SM-1/Bobcat combination.
    WS-1S & SM-1 006.jpg

Flipped it over and ran one down along the outside corner. Didn't clean off the paint adjacent to the weld so it pulled in contaminates as a result even though it can't be seen in the photo. Note the cold start at the far right.
    WS-1S & SM-1 005.jpg

View of the cross section.
    WS-1S & SM-1 008.jpg

Ran very well and now I just need a lot more hood time with it. As for your setup, if you're as happy with its performance as I am with mine, you shouldn't have much reason to change.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110