Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wood cutting VS metal cutting band saws

I'm slowly getting equiped in metal working. I have a fairly heavy duty floor model 14' band saw. Is it possible to convert this to metal cutting if a metal cutting blade the right lenght can be found ?

You'll not only have to change the blade, the speed will have to be reduced as well.

What are you looking to cut on it?
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

I probably wont be welding anything thicker than 1/4 inch or so as I only own a mm180. This will only be for my workshop where I plan to do light fabrication only. I was lookinh at getting a dry cutting chop saw or an inexpensive horizontal band saw but thought I could make use of my floor model bandsaw in the meantime.

A vertical bandsaw is good for cutting 16 ga. sheet (and it's not even really good for that). I would reccomend an abrasive saw or horiz bandsaw. Dry saw or cold saw if you're rich.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

I converted a Powermatic vertical band saw from wood to steel, and it works great. I used a variable speed DC gearmotor from a belt conveyor to slow it down.

Speed is most of it. Most wood saw are not built to handle the stresses of metal cutting puts on it.
    I have a wood saw and I cut sheet steel with it, but it is hard on it non the less.

Also to cut bar type stock an abrasive type saw works, and a cold saw is cool, you don't have to be "rich" to own one. Just keep your eyes open for a bargain.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

The horizontal bandsaws are really the way to go, since the blades are so cheap.

The dry saws are nice for $600, but the blades run out fast. Cold saws last last a long time. Grizzly sells one for ~$1000. Grizzly has a horizontal bandsaw that cuts up to 60 degrees for about $1500. Replacement blades are $20-40.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

I aquired an 18" Jet wood saw recently, in reseaching a conversion I found this on practicalmachinist.com, for future reference. Hopes this helps
    Good luck
    L*S

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...rsion+to+metal

Thanks Leons2003,

Great advice in that forum. Sounds like alot of work to properly do a conversion like some of them describe but it answers all of my questions.