Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Charcoal Grill

Hybrid View

Default Charcoal Grill

Hey guys quick little background on me, i'm 17 years old in a welding class at a technical school. (2nd year). And i have fallen in love with working with metal. I'm a senior in high school. Well my teacher put me and two of my friends on building a grill. We only have 2 hours to work a day and share the shop with 16 people. So it may take a little while but here is our process so far. (Sorry for pic quality i'm using my phone)

So basically we started off with a sheet of 16g sheet metal and drew out our layout

Then we broke out the plasma cutter and cut slits to bend up 3 of the four sides

Then i got started on welding

Thanks for taking a look guys. And oh ya this is the bottom of the grill. Hopefully will get to building the top tomorrow
    Last edited by Skoorbnut; 12-07-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Default Day 2

Alright if anyones following today the other 2 guys (my buds) worked on cutting out pieces for the top, and trap door going in the back, while i welded what was left of the bottom section. Forgot to take pictures due to lack of time. Tomorrow ill take pictures of today's work and tomorrows.

EDIT:

Ok so not much work got done between day 2 and 3. A lady we fixed a trailer for brought in pizza and soda so we had a miny celebration. And i must say getting aid in food is not a bad deal

So heres the bottom all welded up

And the layout for the top
    Last edited by Skoorbnut; 12-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.

I never thought of cutting slits to make sheet easier to bend. Usually I score the bend on the inside with a zip disc.
    Kepp updates going
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    I never thought of cutting slits to make sheet easier to bend. Usually I score the bend on the inside with a zip disc.
    Kepp updates going
    I won't lie it's not the most precise way, it took some coaxing with a hammer to get a straighter bend, scoring probably would have gotten us a better angle, but the the plasma was in hand and it didnt turn out too bad.

Default Day 3

So this is really 4 but i'll count it as 3. Anyways today i started blending the welds on the bottom section (forgot to take pictures) and started getting the top together.

Default Day 4

Alright today i did more welding + blending.

So here's the top all put together.

And some blending on the bottom section