I have a Miller Dialarc HF which, if I am reading the manual correctly, has a 310 Amp capability (which I would never try to use, cause I just don't want to get back into heavy duty welding), and I would guess my use would not exceed maybe 175 Amps.

What I am trying to determine is what power generator I would need, to be able to use the welder both at home and transported to elsewhere, where another power source may not exist. The previous owner ran it in his garage on his 220 volt house current with a 30 amp fuse (circuit breaker) and while he was a low power user, he had no problems. My house would have to be wired to bring in 220 volts, and since I want to be portable, why not just use the portable power generator.

I know that transporting a 500 pound welder around is not the easiest thing to do, and I would like to build a jib crane attachable to my truck to onload and off load the welder, some time in the future. At the present time an engine lift crane has been able to do the task, it will lift up to 1,000 pounds.

I welded for about 15 years (+or-) using most of the welding processes used in a manufacturing shop and mobile to weld on farm equipment. I have not welded since 1979 (a couple of excepts), and have always wanted to have a tig/gmaw/mig welder to toy with occasionally. Now I only have to get a mig attachment or separate welder for that.

I worked as a welding engineer for a large company, for about 12 years, so for the most part I know what welding procedures are and how to do the needed calculations to prepare.

Oh, I am now 73 years old, partially retired (I work as a Range Master at a shooting range), and want to do a little welding for myself and others. Don't let the 73 thing bother anyone, it doesn't bother me, except that I am not as strong as I was when I welded before.

Thanks for any help!

Gyrene

Miller Dialarc HF
Smithy CB-1220 XL
& time

`