Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Power Source for portability.

I have a Miller Dialarc HF which, if I am reading the manual correctly, has a 310 Amp capability (which I would never try to use, cause I just don't want to get back into heavy duty welding), and I would guess my use would not exceed maybe 175 Amps.

What I am trying to determine is what power generator I would need, to be able to use the welder both at home and transported to elsewhere, where another power source may not exist. The previous owner ran it in his garage on his 220 volt house current with a 30 amp fuse (circuit breaker) and while he was a low power user, he had no problems. My house would have to be wired to bring in 220 volts, and since I want to be portable, why not just use the portable power generator.

I know that transporting a 500 pound welder around is not the easiest thing to do, and I would like to build a jib crane attachable to my truck to onload and off load the welder, some time in the future. At the present time an engine lift crane has been able to do the task, it will lift up to 1,000 pounds.

I welded for about 15 years (+or-) using most of the welding processes used in a manufacturing shop and mobile to weld on farm equipment. I have not welded since 1979 (a couple of excepts), and have always wanted to have a tig/gmaw/mig welder to toy with occasionally. Now I only have to get a mig attachment or separate welder for that.

I worked as a welding engineer for a large company, for about 12 years, so for the most part I know what welding procedures are and how to do the needed calculations to prepare.

Oh, I am now 73 years old, partially retired (I work as a Range Master at a shooting range), and want to do a little welding for myself and others. Don't let the 73 thing bother anyone, it doesn't bother me, except that I am not as strong as I was when I welded before.

Thanks for any help!

Gyrene

Miller Dialarc HF
    Smithy CB-1220 XL
    & time

`

Default I was looking at the DialArc 250 specifications

and it looks like 12KW is sufficient to power that unit. I have a Sync. 350LX on a 35KW generator...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrene View Post
    The previous owner ran it in his garage on his 220 volt house current with a 30 amp fuse (circuit breaker) and while he was a low power user, he had no problems.

`
    house power is different than genset power so even at Low power on the Welder you'll need a 12,000watt PLUS genset
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

That is the power source I thought it would require, and the cost will set the timing back six months or so. I was hoping that my guess would be high, not dead on.

Thank you very much.

Gyrene

Miller Dialarc HF
    Smithy CB-1220 XL

`

Gyrene,

Since you stated that you would not be using this machine at, or near full output, you could run the welder at reduced power (175-200? amps) with a smaller more economical generator without any problems. I believe a 5 or 6KW unit would be in your ball park...........have fun, and good luck.

Default 12000-15000 watts minimum

This machine has been known to pop a 30 amp breaker when turned on. Running 175 amps it needs 60 amps 240 volt wall power. Think 15,000 watts. Why not just find a used Bobcat or Lincoln Ranger 225?

for that big of genset and that big a machine y not get a used welder/gen or a small genset and like a used maxstar or dynasty would be much easier to do mobile work
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA