Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Sheet Metal Roller

Hafco a machinery supplier in Australia had a Spring sale.
    During their sales they invite potential buyers to road test their products.
    I have had my eye on a sheet metal roller for a while so I decided to go.
    I took some 1.6mm thick ali tread plate.
    The roller is rated at 1.2mm thick steel.
    The ali tread plate rolled well.
    I was thinking of making MX bike exhausts with the roller and from what I saw it should be able to do the job.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

While I was eating my free lunch I took some images of the floor stock.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool

Nice. Thats almost like my Tennsmith slip roll. I got tired of all the hand cranking so i added a motor and gearbox...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Was it hard to do Bob?
    Can you post some images?

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool

I didn't do mine the proper way but it works for me. I should of had the mtr/gb on the left side but i didn't have a lathe so i put it on the right side. The proper way would of been get a longer piece if barstock to turn down the end for the coupling for the drive. I could of done it on mine but it would of shortend the rolls some and i didn't want that. Here are some pics. I use a 3/4hp motor and a 60:1 Boston gb i got on ebay. I made my drive setup removable because i use it on 3 other machines. Why buy 4 sets of everything when you can just remove 2 or 3 bolts and change it. The handle was removed and it had a sq stub on the rolls. Then i bought a lovejoy coupling that slid over the sq and added steel shims on the sq part so the bolts from the coupling would grab and keep it from wobbling around. The last pic is my mtr/gb set turned sideways on my scrollergbonrolls.jpggbside.jpggbtag.jpgscmotor.jpg...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Nice set up Bob.
    Looks like a lot of work.
    Is it still easy to remove the top roller when making a complete circle?

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it