Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Can you do TIG welding with a Maxstar 150-S

I am asking because I own the Maxstar 150-S and I have a TIG setup looking for a power source.
    I was looking through the literature and the differences I see is the lack of a GTAW/SMAW switch so you don't have lift-arc, lack of remote control, and no solenoid for the gas. Would the Adaptive Hot Start screw up the TIG start?
    Obviously, the STL or STH models are a lot better, but can I use my existing torch and get acceptable results?
    Also, this is way out there, I have an old Sears HF unit that uses spark gap with a front panel on off switch. The switch could easily be remoted to a foot control box, the question is if it was connected to the out put of an inverter welder (like mine), would the HF unit ruin it?

I have been searching and reading threads on this forum for a week and have not found anything on these subjects. If it has been covered before, forgive me.

Rush

yes you can tig on the maxstar 150s. I have been using mine the last week. All you have to fo is switch the polarity.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I was thinking so, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a hidden issue.

Rush

Rush,
    You can do DC scratch start TIG from your Maxstar 150-S. You will have to control your output from the machines panel. Since you have no gas solenoid you will have to use an air-cooled TIG torch that has a gas valve on it, similar to the WP17V torch http://www.weldcraft.com/pdf/ProductOverviewWP3A.pdf
    Unless you are buying argon from me. This will allow you to turn the gas off when not using it. You will also need to buy the Miller TIG torch adaptor #195378.

I would not put a hi-freq unit on this machine. Just not worth the risk.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Thanks again, I have a TIG torch with a valve on the side and flow meter. What is a "Miller TIG torch adapter #195378"? I looked at the picture, but can't tell what is does.

Rush

I dont youse one of those. I just switch the leads and use one of these... http://store.cyberweld.com/wetigtopoad.html

Your torch gas line will hook up on one side and your gas hose from the reg. will hook up on the other. Then you just use your ground clamp as normal.... and clamp your electrode holder to the power adapter. And your ready to

EDIT: This may depend on what kind of torch you have. I'm not sure.

I guess the newer tig torches have the gas in the lead cable. My torch has the gas line on the outside of the lead cable, so I would need the DINSE/TWECO fitting for the Maxstar.
    I think I would need the "Miller TIG torch adapter #195378" to bring the gas out of the Maxstar STL or STH units.

Rush

Then all you need to do is get a 25 series Dinse connector Miller #127836 and put it on the end of the welding cable. It will then just plug into your machine. Then you need a AW-430 inert gas hose coupler, or just hook the gas hose off the torch into your regulator/flowgauge.
    Last edited by jwsrep; 08-26-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

I asked a Miller representative the same question about the Maxstar 150S and they said that "because the machine would sense the voltage difference, it wouldn't work and would return an error code." I can imagine that it wouldn't be ideal, but I don't have complete faith in that baseless statement, especially when members of the forum can already confirm that it does work.