Update. I picked up the brightwork yesterday afternoon. The polish on the aluminum parts and the chrome looks AWESOME.
Console and shift linkage:
Exhaust, shock reservoir clamps and steering:
Results 31 to 40 of 58
Thread: Mid-Engine Sandrail Project
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM #31
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM #32
Suspension Bolts: The little details like machining the knurls off of the socket head cap screws takes more time than I thought but well worth the work.
Smaller bracket bolts and misc. fasteners:
01-31-2011, 06:43 AM #33
Well I picked up the frame Friday night. The color looks great. I am not used to having someone else apply my paint, I usually paint all of my own stuff. However, considering that I didn't want to wait until it warmed up a little to paint it and I also decided to have it powder coated rather than paint for a little more durability I opted to have a local shop powder coat it. They did a great job and it is pretty consistant for a candy color. Mike.
01-31-2011, 06:45 AM #34
Here is a picture with the chrome transmission cradle set into place.
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM #35Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2010
- Indianapolis Indiana
Impressive all around. I like the stack o dimes mig welds.
Keep us updated with the progress.Miller 330 BPA - Sold
Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
Miller Maxstar 150 STL
Miller Dynasty 200 DX
Miller 135 Millermatic
Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM #36Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2007
- West Farmington, OH
That's an awesome looking sand rail!
Hopefully someday I'll get to build myself a project or two. I'd like to build a mid engine sidewinder buggy, most likely Honda powered.Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)
Colt the original point & click interface!
Millermatic 35 with spot panel
Victor O/A torches
Too many other tools to list
03 Ram 1500
82 GL1100 Interstate
02-22-2011, 07:54 AM #37
Well, I was able to get caught up on clients work and start some final assembly over the weekend. I bent and polished the stainless steel brake and clutch lines then assembled the front suspension and mounted the transaxle.
The next major task it to wire the car and after that is should go fairly quick to do it mostly being just bolting things together. I have a few paying jobs the remainder of the week so I hope to start the electrical the first part of next week. Thanks for looking, Mike.
This picture shows the brake and clutch lines that were a PITA to get symmetrical and evenly spaced.
02-22-2011, 11:52 PM #38Senior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2009
- Corona, CA
That thing is looking pretty sweet!
I agree that brake lines are a PITA. Especially when they are visible.
Cant wait to see it flying off a dune, or at least parked on some sand!Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.
02-23-2011, 09:58 AM #39
03-06-2011, 06:05 PM #40
I like your project and your workmanship is good.
Those tabs you need are available on the internet.
Bungs are available too.
Just Google tabs and brackets. You ell be surprised that you can get these tabs for a few dollars and save lots of money on grinding cutting to make them.
Here is a link to just one of those companies.http://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/5969/