Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring Angst

If this is a rental unit then I would be very careful about checking into the laws/codes in doing this. I know in some areas it is illegal to do electrical work on a rental property without being licensed even if you have permission from the owner or if you own the property yourself. If you do the work then you are liable for any problems down the road. Having said that, I also know things like this are done all the time & if done correctly will never have a problem.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    If this is a rental unit then I would be very careful about checking into the laws/codes in doing this. I know in some areas it is illegal to do electrical work on a rental property without being licensed even if you have permission from the owner or if you own the property yourself. If you do the work then you are liable for any problems down the road. Having said that, I also know things like this are done all the time & if done correctly will never have a problem.
    I did all the conduit work in my studio and had lic. electricians pull the actual wire. The price was very reasonable and it took away a lot of the time-consuming work for them.

Is the 4-wire outlet far away from his work area? I'm guessng you were saying it's about 100'. Otherwise you could just create an adapter cable to go from the 3-wire to 4-wire.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

BTW, you can't run 10-2wire (it is covered in insulation) in a conduit. You would need to THHN (idividual wires).

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    BTW, you can't run 10-2wire (it is covered in insulation) in a conduit. You would need to THHN (idividual wires).
    Didn't know that. Ran 150 feet of it in conduit last night.

angus

I think what Walker meant was, 10-2 is a "Romex" type wire. Meaning it is all combined in a singulaur type piece that is normal ran thrugh walls.
    It is cheaper to run individual 10 gauge wires, especially through conduit.

I am glad everything worked out. Yuo got some good time with you son also.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    I think what Walker meant was, 10-2 is a "Romex" type wire. Meaning it is all combined in a singulaur type piece that is normal ran thrugh walls.
    It is cheaper to run individual 10 gauge wires, especially through conduit.

I am glad everything worked out. Yuo got some good time with you son also.
    thanks! It was a great experience for both of us.

Nothing illegal, I hope, with running romex in conduit?

Quote Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
    thanks! It was a great experience for both of us.

Nothing illegal, I hope, with running romex in conduit?
    Not that I know of. It's just harder to do.
    Next time, run individual wires and you'll see.

Default Romex in conduit

I'm still following this thread, as an interested amateur.

I thought there are two potential problems with running NM in conduit. One being excessive heat buildup. Secondly, running this configuration underground, in which case the cable would still have to be underground rated, due to moisture issues, and breakdown of jacket and paper liner.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDano View Post
    Not that I know of. It's just harder to do.
    Next time, run individual wires and you'll see.
    SO true!!! My son's a rock climber and has arms like Arnold used to and he still had trouble feeding it through some of the bends. Live & learn, I guess.