Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkgtr View Post
    Dmaxer, the multipurpose welder you have that you're referring to, is that the mxt you have listed in your post? I've seen several of these used which seem to be in great condition for sale anywhere from 450-900, I would rather spend 900 on a used miller than on a new "X-brand"....

Yes, the XMT 350 CC/CV is the multiprocess welder I was referring to. For your own purposes be aware that the XMT is only a power source and you'd need to buy a wire feeder to have a MIG welder, unlike the Schumacher model you're looking at which apparently has a wire feeder incorporated into its design.

Miller makes a smaller XMT 304 CC/CV version too. If you look for an XMT, just make sure it is a CC/CV and not the VS model. The CC/CV comes equipped with a Miller 14-pin connector for a GTAW foot pedal/wire feeder/spoolgun controller, etc. whereas the VS does not. The VS requires a voltage sensing wire feeder in order to GMAW and it GTAW abilities are limited by its lack of ability to connect a remote voltage control (foot pedal).
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Hey Jim, The schumacher welders I am not familiar with.........I do have one of thier battery chargers and it works great. If it was my choice i would stick with a Miller or Lincoln 200 amp range machine......I've not had any problems with mine.....the MM 250 can burn some steel man lemma tell yuh.It seems like youre doing the same basic stuff I do so I'm thinking the MM202 I think they call it now would be a good welder for you.My first tig i had was a Lincoln 300/300 I bought for 300 dollars used with a water cooler....You could weld a bridge together with that thing......I just bought a used Syncrowave 350 Lx with the bells and whistles.....So step up when you can But buy something with a solid rep Miller/Lincoln/Esab. Just my 2 Cents worth.
    Hope It helps, Jim uhohjim1@aol.com

Brain fart Millermatic 212 belongs up there^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkgtr View Post
    .....I need to buy a mig welder..... I'm just facinated with tig welding and I'd like to try it.....
    Blackhawkgtr, the two main objectives I've isolated from your original post are that you need a mig welder but that you also want to tig weld. There are many pros who like to have a dedicated machine for each purpose and there are others who are just as interested in saving space and money by buying a multiprocess welder. I'm among the latter, but I am doing this for my own purposes and enjoyment only. You need to decide which approach suits you and then buy the best welder you can afford as a starting point. Millermatics are great mig machines, but they cannot tig weld.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

I recently bought the MM180 and could not be happier. This is an awesome Mig welder, very smooth and easy to operate. So far so good, if you are considering the MM180 I'd say go for it, I paid just under $1k for it, a running gear and I am very pleased. Good luck.

Default wow...

Thanks alot guys, I think i just made up my mind and I didnt feel pressured with this being a miller website and all. I understand what you guys are saying about a multiprocess. I've decided not to buy this welder because I've tried looking for accesories for this welder in its own website and found nothing really, this welder is identical to the one from matco tools, all the specs etc. I am most likely going to go blue, just a mig welder, and as I become more efficient and have more toys to play with, I'll get a Tig, and maybe even a plasma, all from miller. The Schumaker welder is still in the back of my mind with it being a 3800 welder for only 1k brand new, I just dont want to make a mistake buying this welder. So if i do go with blue, the least I would want to get is the 180 or better. Any additional input is greatly appreciated. I like the idea of having one purpose very good tool for each job, instead of a 3in1. Im going to drive myself crazy over this, especially since my wife gave me the go ahead in this welder. Thanks in advance guys.

Default well....

I decided to purchase the schumacher welder.....when i tried, i couldnt, an ebay error on the seller's part (about shipping). Then he sent me an email saying he sold it locally, when he promised to hold it for me through ebay. Although I was upset, I was relieved. I am a big beleiver in when things dont go your way, its for a reason, something better is comming, and that God just didnt want that for me. So now i continue my search, how good are ESAB welders? thanks

Jim I haven't used one of the esab mig welders....but the esab tigs are nice...too bad on the schumacher welder...It wouldnt have been my choice,but it sucks when you get assed out like that ... I have heard nothing but good about the esab migs .. so good luck with your purchase. Lemme know how well it works if you buy it....never know when I might wanna buy something new lol.
    Jim uhohjim1@aol.com

SOOOOOOOOOOOO? which one did you settle oN?.....the suspense is killin me lol
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by uhohjim View Post
    SOOOOOOOOOOOO? which one did you settle oN?.....the suspense is killin me lol
    Jim
    he he....me too!!