Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respirator

Default Respirator

Haven't done my homework on this but I figure you guys know from experience.

I'm looking for a good respirator. Just for grinding / sanding and finishing aluminum mostly.

The little white mask with rubber bands just isn't what I want to use. Lay em down once and there's dust on the inside. Have no clue how long they are effective.

I would like something I can re-use for a while and replace the filters. Maybe Lowes or Home Depot has one I can get filters for locally and not have to order.

Whats a good one without breaking the bank?

Ok first thing is some general info, as with a lot of things in life and work or trades. The misuse or the wrong use of terms.
    The letter designators at the start of the cartridge descriptor:

N =Not to be used with oil.

R =R means "resistant to oils." Can be used for eight hours with chemicals and pesticides that contain oil.

P =P means "oil proof." Can be used with oil and non-oil hazards; may be able to use longer than eight hours.

HE =High Efficiency, the filter used on a PAPR (Can be used with oils.) Check with manufacturer's instructions for time restrictions; or change when you notice a decrease in airflow.

Chemical Cartridge Color Coding
    All manufacturers use the same color coding for gas/vapor protection

Color Type
    White ☼ Acid Gas
    Black ☼ Organic Vapors
    Green ☼ Ammonia Gas
    Yellow ☼ Acid Gas & Organic Vapor
    Olive ☼ Mulit-gas (protects against numerous gases and vapors)
    Magenta ☼ Particulate Filter Cartridge (HEPA) (Also called P100)
    (A HEPA is a particulate filter; all others are used for gases and/or vapors.)

Particulate respirators, filters and pre-filters - trap solid and liquid particles such as dusts, mists and fumes. They can be found in the form of a disposable respirator, or in the form of a "pre-filter", which can be used in conjunction with a chemical cartridge. The filters should be changed according to the manufacturer's instructions or when you experience excessive breathing resistance.

Chemical cartridges - (Gas and/or Vapor-removing Cartridge-type Respirators) are filled with specially treated activated carbon which will adsorb certain gases and/or vapors. You should change the cartridges when you taste or smell a substance, or your eyes, throat or respiratory system become irritated. It's best to schedule a cartridge "change-out" before you notice that you are being exposed to the contaminant.

Not for use in atmospheres, Immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH is a term that you will see over and over when looking at APR's (Air Purifying Respirators) What most people call masks.

In IDLH atmospheres the concentrations are high enough or the substance is dangerous enough that exposure could kill you. If you must enter, you will need a respirator that supplies breathable air, such as a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) unit, which consists of a portable tank of air; or a supplied air system (with an emergency escape bottle), which supplies air via a pump or an air compressor.

Disposable APR's they can be reused for their suggested life span, generally a shift in a workplace.

Then they go from use once and toss, thru the (PAPR) Powered Air Purifying Respirators thru the SCBA, and supplied air/airline

The numbers after the letter designator 95/99/100 are at least 95%/99%/99.97% filter efficient for the particulates

3M N95 Particulate rated for welding fumes
    Good For Welding on stainless steel, aluminum,galvanized steel and ozone and nuisance organic vapors may be present.

This is the one that is sold by most LWS or online it is also The one that I use as a hobbyist they last a long time, As it is recommended that after each use you store them in a zip lock plastic bag.
    They aren't cheap at the LWS they are about $7.00 each
    When you get them on line make sure that they are rated for welding fumes as there are N95 that are only particulate/dust rated. they are cheaper. I use a cheaper one for wire brushing, grinding etc.

Since there is a limit on photo's I will continue this in another posts. This part one
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Part two

Comfort Masks, for dusts and minor irritants

3 versions of dust masks

End of part two

Part three

A dual cartridge respirator,Norton brand now called North

Cartridges/pre-filter caps and inserts

A N95(black) N100(magenta)

Another dual cartridge, SAS brand Survivor air systems now part of Sperian Co
    end of part three

A single cartridge,Glendale brand

cartridge, pre-filter and cover

Just a side note why pre-filters are important, with out them the cartridges plug up quite. Even with them some of the coal dust and soot would get thru.

Finally a fire department SCBA full mask, from an auction of surplus equipment. It is a Survivor air system now Sperian When I get some free time, I am planning on contacting Sperian to find out if the have an adapter rig to fit this mask and low pressure air supply source.

I would say that what systems you need or care to have will depend on the amount of usage and type of work you are using.

You can use a better grade of respirator for dust or other. But never use a lesser grade for (sand) media blasting, or asbestos

Belt mounted welding half mask respirator Sperian

Hobby air respirator

one source of 3M masks suggested by another memberHere is a link to another thread on the subject

I use the paper ones, you do have to get in the habit of putting them down face side on a clean spot. Foe just dusts you don't need a fume rated one in the long run, the paper disposalable ones can be used all day. Granted I'm a hobbyist type. but when you take the other kinds off you still have to be careful where and how you put them down and then store them after cleaning in a plastic bag.
    The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970(the federal law)

States that respirators are allowed only for EMERGENCY USE, WHEN ENGINEERING CONTROLS (e.g.VENTILATION) ARE NOT FEASIBLE,OR AS A TEMPORARY MEASURE while engineering controls are installed. Which means that the word FEASIBLE translates in to expensive. What Ken has said is the rest of the law.

I haven't contacted the maker of the SCBA mask yet as family medical issues of parents, wife and wife's parents seem to be getting the way (somebody told me once that it's called life )
    You want a low pressure high volume slightly moist or humid air supply as not to dry out the little dingle berry things in the lungs that are the air sacs. When I start on it I will post the results.

Default most of the half masks shown are good.......

I personally use a 3M brand 7500 half mask with the pink pancake filters. They are better by far than the dust mask types. With the 2097 filters with activated charcoal you can use them for welding and be fume worry free. They are pretty cost effective as well. They are almost the industry standard at a lot of the mines and industrial sites in Canada.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

[QUOTE=
    You want a low pressure high volume slightly moist or humid air supply as not to dry out the little dingle berry things in the lungs that are the air sacs. When I start on it I will post the results.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting information. Thanks for taking the time to post it all. The quote with the slightly moist air opens another question. I SCUBA dive, not so much in the last few years but the filtered air in the tanks is as dry as dry can be.

There was a second stage regulator (mouth part) that had small metal fins built inside it. Condensation built up on these small fins so the moisture could be inhaled to counter the dryness of the air. How you overcome the dryness will be interesting.

Back to the original, The color coding is good to know. I need to read over that a few more times. I'll be looking at some respirators today as the job I'm doing is covering me up with dust. Twice now anyway, I won't be breathing that crap a third time.

Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by sturugged View Post
    I personally use a 3M brand 7500 half mask with the pink pancake filters. They are better by far than the dust mask types. With the 2097 filters with activated charcoal you can use them for welding and be fume worry free. They are pretty cost effective as well. They are almost the industry standard at a lot of the mines and industrial sites in Canada.
    Good videos on the youtube of this mask. Gona have a look locally today. Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sturugged View Post
    I personally use a 3M brand 7500 half mask with the pink pancake filters. They are better by far than the dust mask types.
    I also use this one as they have a sm, med and large so you can get one to fit your face. I have been fitted at work so i just buy the one i would use there...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48