Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Nice. I did not see any pics of the trip mechanism. Can you post some pics of this. Also what pump do you have, belt driven or a self contained electric unit.
    T.J.

I'll get some pics of that for you - maybe after you see it you may be able to give me a little advice on setting the springs correctly. The pump is a self contained electric unit. Not new by any means - it came out of an old State snow plow truck.

Willy, nice job on the plow, I would take it by and rub it under his nose now

If I may offer some advice though, it looks like your plow shoes are rectangular, this is ok if there are no obstacles but if there is anyplace where the shoe can turn sideways and catch something, it will (Murphys Law) I plow streets and had one do that at a set of railroad tracks, more fun than a roller coaster We now use all round plow shoes. Also, on your lifting chain, I would move that as close to the moldboard as possible, it will lift much easier putting less strain on the motor.

Also, you cant go wrong with such a nice shop foreman but where is his helmet ?
    Last edited by KBar; 12-28-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Willy, nice job on the plow, I would take it by and rub it under his nose now

If I may offer some advice though, it looks like your plow shoes are rectangular, this is ok if there are no obstacles but if there is anyplace where the shoe can turn sideways and catch something, it will (Murphys Law) I plow streets and had one do that at a set of railroad tracks, more fun than a roller coaster We now use all round plow shoes. Also, on your lifting chain, I would move that as close to the moldboard as possible, it will lift much easier putting less strain on the motor
    If it wasnt 30 miles to his house I'd go plow in his driveway
    Pictures should be punishment enough for him.
    Good advice on the shoes and the lift chain - never though of that. I'm just going to use it here at home so I really don't have any obstacles that I would hit, but I know how my luck is - you probably just jinxed me
    Thanks for the advice - thats why I visit this site!

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    If it wasnt 30 miles to his house I'd go plow in his driveway
    Pictures should be punishment enough for him.
    Good advice on the shoes and the lift chain - never though of that. I'm just going to use it here at home so I really don't have any obstacles that I would hit, but I know how my luck is - you probably just jinxed me
    Thanks for the advice - thats why I visit this site!
    Our luck sounds the same.

To be honest, the shoes can even turn in stone and tear the heck out of things.

The plow I was using at the time was a 10' Valk plow on a 10 ton dump fully loaded for weight so you can imagine the ride I had. (60' wide street) Been doing it 30 years and getting too old for it, soon ready to retire from that part.
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

nice job! what's the spec on the moldboard "skin"? what guage steel etc, and how did you bend it to the contour of the ribs?

Quote Originally Posted by ranchersam View Post
    nice job! what's the spec on the moldboard "skin"? what guage steel etc, and how did you bend it to the contour of the ribs?
    The skin is made out of 14ga. I gave a sheet metal shop my wooden template and they bent it for me (Thanks Young Plumbing and Heating).

I was going to take a piece of 14ga and start tacking at the bottom and squeeze it into place with a length of large diameter pipe and some ratchet straps but my Dad said his former employer would be glad to do it for me so I went that route - probably for the better.

great project.
    did you rebuild the POS power plant or just drop in a new/rebuilt one ??

I was going to take a piece of 14ga and start tacking at the bottom and squeeze it into place with a length of large diameter pipe and some ratchet straps but my Dad said his former employer would be glad to do it for me so I went that route - probably for the better.
    don't know about better, but definitely easy-er .

i would switch out the feet ASAP, seems like we start out intending to only use things at the house and before ya know it they are all over the place. just watch how fast word travels about your new plow......................good thing or bad ????? no telling but you definitely gotta watch out for that Murphy's Law guy. he is just not the friendly type.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Message

willy, I sent you a private message.
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

i made a little blade for my garden tractor. it works pretty good. i put a hydraulic system on my tractor and now im in the process of making a little culitvator
    Jake

ok farm boy you gotta share pic's. i almost made one for my mower, but decided i would drive over the snow insted.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES