Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lindley
    After seeing your post I was inspired !!!!
    Even though it was a simple project in your mind .. it got my gears turning .

What a great idea .. the carts have all you need as far as a frame and wheels .. and if you can get them free or close to it .. bonus .

well anyway I took a drive to my local Kroger and went to look out back where all stores keep there broken and abused carts .. sure enough there were several .
    I was looking for a small unit and low and behold there was one with a broken weld than i knew they would not repair .

so I asked the manager and explained it had broken welds and would may not be serviced ,such as just fixing a wheel .. remember to be nice when asking .. he said I could have it ... I said I would be glad to take it .. so he met me out back .. and off to home me and this little gem went .

well first thing to do was break out the 4 inch grinder with the cut off wheel and cut the baskets off ... I had thought of just doing a little trimming here and there , but changed my mind after looking at what materials I had to work with and wanted to do a bit custom job .. lol ... After all the frame and wheels are really good .. and free to boot .

so about 4 hours later here she sits .. a few add on's will be in order to hang hose and such ... but all and all I like it.. rolls smooth and easy .

thanks Lindley for the inspiration .
    Don
    Last edited by Alumitech; 12-28-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Very clever! Thanks for the great idea. But those unsecured tanks with no caps in the background give me the willies if little ones are around!!
    Last edited by nedster; 01-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Default Great imagination, great re purposing!

It's nice to see your sequence of pictures as the project unfolds.
    We really get to see the imagination at work.
    Cool!
    Millermatic 211 MIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Cutter
    Milwaukee 6190-20 Dry Cut Saw
    Jet HVBS-56M Band Saw
    Jet 708595 Bench Top Belt/Disc Sander

www.slab-fab-studio.com (Fab Steel and Concrete Furniture Site)
    www.billysproul.com (Found Object/Sculpture Site)

These are the poster projects for this type of machine and crowd. All the light scrap in the world makes for cheap fab work, the 211 is born for it. Every day I make something from something else.
    Sometimes it can be a success for the day when things are crap or even though it was a day of work I didn't have to buy expensive parts. I build a lot out of scrap but I do keep an eye on the economics, cost of materials and acquisition efforts can be expensive, I also buy a lot of stuff too. A good example,, a guy can buy a little sandblaster for 89$, unless he has the materials in his lap and its a long drive he cant make it for that if he has to buy anything. Mine was 800$ catalog + a few bucks shipping. Thats as cheap as I could do it, so I dodder around couple of days off and on and build one, including scrounging all the materials. If I didn't have 2 days and the materials + the ability I would have looked at the cost differently but I put 400 a day in my pocket for the first 2 days of a week not including overhead it would have incurred to make 800, I would have had to go to work a week to clear the same effort.
    Back to the shopping cart welder cart, in a sense same great idea, got a custom cart for some labor but didn't insult the by throwing a couple hundred in materials at it. Wheels, steel, etc Heck I think a factory cart is near 100$ and certainly not as good as that.
    I do value my labor so getting most of it pre-engineered and free as well as the materials makes salvage scrap a good deal in many circumstances. I build a lot of things from raw material and from scratch over the years but more and more I look for anything I can modify.

What a great idea .. the carts have all you need as far as a frame and wheels .. and if you can get them free or close to it .. bonus .
    so about 4 hours later here she sits .. a few add on's will be in order to hang hose and such
    This is what I based some of that ramble on, not only is it satisfying but its an asset that would have been pricey, 150, maybe 200 for a cart that nice, made/saved 200 for the day of work (not including taxes, insurance, etc) . If your a brain surgeon and make 3 k a day then well,,, you got to do it for the satisfaction but for avg working class guy it has real net return.

I built a set of pullers the other day that I needed. 200$ + best I could find on the net, over a day I collected pieces from the rack, played with them on the bench, lucked out and stummbled across a couple things, then about 2 hrs of real fab work and I have custom set, found box to accumulate it all in.
    I could have whipped it up in an hour but I piddle a bit to come up with system that has some asset over the purchaced version on top of not spitting up 2 or 300$. I bought bearing spliiter set, finally splurged for the package, 320$, but made the rods and stiff backs as well as attatchments for our press to fix trans for my pickup, 200$ in parts vs replacement unit of 2500,, ha I will make all my labor back and outlay 500 wwhen its all done for a week of work. Have the specialty tools for a lot of jobs when I am done.

Default Nice cart job, how about the bike?

Very nice job on the cart. I have a question on the bike. I rode a Yamaha Big wheel back around 1986, and wished I would have bought it. It looks alot like the Honda you have. Do any of the Manufacturers make anything like those bikes today? All I see is the regular dirt bike.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by north1 View Post
    Very nice job on the cart. I have a question on the bike. I rode a Yamaha Big wheel back around 1986, and wished I would have bought it. It looks alot like the Honda you have. Do any of the Manufacturers make anything like those bikes today? All I see is the regular dirt bike.

Thanks to all above for the comments. (I haven't checked back on this post until just now).

But to answer the question above, I am not sure. If so, I certainly haven't seen them around. That is an all original 1987 Honda Fat Cat. It is actually one of two. It's twin sister is still on my parent's ranch. Great bikes and still fires up on the first push of a the button, even after months of sitting! I too grew up in northern California and had an absolute blast exploring millions of acres of wide-open national forest land in Lassen and the sand dunes of San Louis Obispo counties.

But I digress...

Shopping carts make great welding carts!