Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    Rudy, what kind of precautions are you taking to protect yourself while welding?

For those who didn't get it Rudy is a paraplegic. That means he can't feel anything below his injury. He could have a dingleberry land on his leg for instance and not know it until he smelled burning flesh. Or he could move into a hot piece of metal and get severely burned and not know it was happening. The same thing goes for machinery.

Rudy must have a real love for welding to expose himself to the potential of serious injury. He is to be congratulated for his passion but I hope he is taking care to protect himself.

When I see someone like Rudy I guess I appreciate it more than others. That's because I had a friend who was a super quad and he still did work even though the risk was greater for him than someone who could feel their legs and belly.

I'll never forget the panhandler who hit me up for a dollar at a gas station one morning. I gave him a buck in a moment of weakness and so I guess he thought that paid for some conversation. He asked me what I did. When I told him that I was a weldor he said he went to school for that but didn't like all the burns from the hot sparks.

Thank you Rudy for doing instead of quitting. And if you have a situation where you need some brainstorming to overcome a situation, well, we're here.
    Thank You! I do protect myself, and this is another reason why I only Tig weld these days, no flying sparks or slag, for the most part. I do all my welding with a leather apron on, draped over my legs and feet (and $400 air cushion!) and aldo put a leather welding jacket over my legs under the apron. When I first started to re-learn how to Tig running the pedal with my elbow, (.60 thou or less aluminum 99.9% of time) I set the torch in a holder I had made to the left of my left leg. (I am left handed) Well, little did I know, it fell out of the holder, I musta bumped it, and must have sat on my leg for a min or so. I started having muscle spasams, and my legs were going nuts, but I didnt think too much of it. The torch must have fell on the floor after a min or so. Well, later on that night, I see a big WET spot on my jeans on top of my thigh. I think, wtf? So I pull up my jeans, and my leg has a quarter sized puss-leaking burn on it, that is what the "wet stuff" was. I thought to myself, WOW, I bet that hurts like a MOFO. "Today, is a GOOD DAY to be paralyzed LOL"...... When my legs were jumping up and down and going nuts, I didnt think too much of it because i used to get real bad Urinary tract infections all the time, and those would give me bad spasams. But it was my leg feeling the pain, the pain signals just dont make it to the brain to alert me of the situation, due to my spinal cord injury. Think of it as the wires being cut or smashed in the conduit (my spinal cord) between the nerves, and my brain...... I do my best to avoid these sorts of things nowadays!!!

Thanks for thinking of me!

Oh, and I still LOVE the pup-peepholes idea!! Can I borrow the pics?

Thank You, Rudy
    T-4 Paraplegic, Runnin' the Pedal With my elbow, now trying to get used to a momentary switch.......

Journeyman Millwright, Local 1102, Detroit, Michigan (Disabled)

Syncrowave 200
    Coolmate 1

Rudy if you don't tell anyone and click on my signature you'll find all kinds of things to copy anyway or how you can.

I just think it's wonderful that you're trying when so many give up when their hill is a hill and yours is a mountain.

When I grow up I want to be like you when it comes to attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post

I just think it's wonderful that you're trying when so many give up when their hill is a hill and yours is a mountain.

When I grow up I want to be like you when it comes to attitude.
    perfectly said, harv...
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    perfectly said, harv...

well stated welder_one and wroughtnharv

Great job - thanks for the photos and technical details.

"Rooms to let - fifty cents"
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Getting back to the original topic, one thing I would be very careful about is the size of the spacings, and the direction of the tapered spacings. Being in and around the livestock business for years, the rule is straight and square, you don't want an animal getting its head, legs, or feet caught, big space one end little space the other end.

Not sure about dogs, but any four-legged animal in my experience, would have a hard time extracting itself from getting wedged into a downwards taper, whether the dog works its head into the wide part, or simply jumps on the fence, and its leg slides down into the gap.

Turn the thing over, probably ok.

Just food for thought.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by RudyOnWheels View Post
    Thank You! I do protect myself, and this is another reason why I only Tig weld these days, no flying sparks or slag, for the most part. I do all my welding with a leather apron on, draped over my legs and feet (and $400 air cushion!) and aldo put a leather welding jacket over my legs under the apron. When I first started to re-learn how to Tig running the pedal with my elbow, (.60 thou or less aluminum 99.9% of time) I set the torch in a holder I had made to the left of my left leg. (I am left handed) Well, little did I know, it fell out of the holder, I musta bumped it, and must have sat on my leg for a min or so. I started having muscle spasams, and my legs were going nuts, but I didnt think too much of it. The torch must have fell on the floor after a min or so. Well, later on that night, I see a big WET spot on my jeans on top of my thigh. I think, wtf? So I pull up my jeans, and my leg has a quarter sized puss-leaking burn on it, that is what the "wet stuff" was. I thought to myself, WOW, I bet that hurts like a MOFO. "Today, is a GOOD DAY to be paralyzed LOL"...... When my legs were jumping up and down and going nuts, I didnt think too much of it because i used to get real bad Urinary tract infections all the time, and those would give me bad spasams. But it was my leg feeling the pain, the pain signals just dont make it to the brain to alert me of the situation, due to my spinal cord injury. Think of it as the wires being cut or smashed in the conduit (my spinal cord) between the nerves, and my brain...... I do my best to avoid these sorts of things nowadays!!!

Thanks for thinking of me!

Oh, and I still LOVE the pup-peepholes idea!! Can I borrow the pics?

Thank You, Rudy
    I can relate to the smell of burning flesh.

Wheelchair

I would love to make a couple of these for my pups, but i worried that someone might not like my dogs as much as i do and throw a bait through the window or feed it to them directly.
    Some sick people around here.

At the moment my dogs are not seen or heard
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
    Cigweld TransMig 210se
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx