Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pup peepholes for sale or rent.....

Not really. Every now and then someone will ask about ideas for making things at their home shop they can sell and make a buck or three.

The other day a nice lady called and asked if I did window guards. I explained that I don't do window guards because people die when there is a fire and there are guards on the windows.

"No. Not that kind" she said. "I want a window guard for my dogs to see out of our privacy fence."

"I can do that" I said.

2" X 2" X 1/8" inch angle outside frame. Inside measurements are 8" X 16". They are attached with six lag screws into the horizontal rails of the fence. I added a 2" X 2" cedar rail for the bottom or top not supported by the fence rail 2" X 4". The 2 X 2 was attached to the pickets with stainless screws before I cut out the hole.

Installed this way they window grill is secure. You can shake the fence and not shake the grill.

Pricing: For the guy working out of the garage I would suggest $50.00 each for the grill and at least $50.00 for the installation. A regular business would have to have more of course because employees are involved. I used a cordless drill, cordless impact, and of course a cordless sawsall for the install. This particular client paid more than what I suggest and she had me do three of them at her house.

She loves them. Her dogs love them too. Love makes the world go around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ya know, ive always liked your work, sir.... and again, im diggin the job.... nice lines, sir
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Hey harv,
    Now, that is what I call unique & quite marketable. Nice job, well executed, & looks to be profitable..... that's how it's supposed to be. You did good...... matter of fact, I'm gonna copy it...with your permission.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey harv,
    Now, that is what I call unique & quite marketable. Nice job, well executed, & looks to be profitable..... that's how it's supposed to be. You did good...... matter of fact, I'm gonna copy it...with your permission.

Denny
    That's why I put it up here!

I've got an antique tire roller (the iron rings around wooden wagon wheels are called tires). I rolled the pieces of quarter inch bar stock into three foot circles. They worked out perfect for giving me arcs that matched in the panels.

I wish I was an artist. Because if I was an artist I would form the quarter inch bar stock into images of dog breeds. That way I could charge twice as much!

I do recommend the fastening method I used. I thought a lot about it and believe the fasteners being in shear makes the connnection a lot stronger over time because wood and metal like to separate over time.

I think it's great that you want to do it too.

Excellent idea!!!! The mounting is VERY well thought out, you cannot see any fasteners which is good.

Rudy
    T-4 Paraplegic, Runnin' the Pedal With my elbow, now trying to get used to a momentary switch.......

Journeyman Millwright, Local 1102, Detroit, Michigan (Disabled)

Syncrowave 200
    Coolmate 1

Quote Originally Posted by RudyOnWheels View Post
    Excellent idea!!!! The mounting is VERY well thought out, you cannot see any fasteners which is good.

Rudy
    Rudy, what kind of precautions are you taking to protect yourself while welding?

For those who didn't get it Rudy is a paraplegic. That means he can't feel anything below his injury. He could have a dingleberry land on his leg for instance and not know it until he smelled burning flesh. Or he could move into a hot piece of metal and get severely burned and not know it was happening. The same thing goes for machinery.

Rudy must have a real love for welding to expose himself to the potential of serious injury. He is to be congratulated for his passion but I hope he is taking care to protect himself.

When I see someone like Rudy I guess I appreciate it more than others. That's because I had a friend who was a super quad and he still did work even though the risk was greater for him than someone who could feel their legs and belly.

I'll never forget the panhandler who hit me up for a dollar at a gas station one morning. I gave him a buck in a moment of weakness and so I guess he thought that paid for some conversation. He asked me what I did. When I told him that I was a weldor he said he went to school for that but didn't like all the burns from the hot sparks.

Thank you Rudy for doing instead of quitting. And if you have a situation where you need some brainstorming to overcome a situation, well, we're here.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    ya know, ive always liked your work, sir.... and again, im diggin the job.... nice lines, sir
    I know you're from Arkansas and I'm from Texas, but there's no reason for the "sirs".

Seriously, thanks, we're family and we don't need the formality.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    I know you're from Arkansas and I'm from Texas, but there's no reason for the "sirs".

Seriously, thanks, we're family and we don't need the formality.
    its an old army habit that dies hard... i meant nothing by it, just hard to overcome the urge to call everyone "sir" or ma'am
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    I wish I was an artist.
    Don't kid yourself
    You're an artist

frank

Thumbs up

very nice work - looks great!