Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
It sounds like you have your heart set on it, so a 110 MIG welder will work fine with some .023 wire. Make sure you use shielding gas and not flux core wire. Don't waste your money on the CJ-5 panel if you are just going to cut it up to patch some rust holes. Get some pieces of sheet metal the same gauge as the existing body panel, probably 18 -22 gauge steel (but I doubt it's as thick as 18) Practice on the sheet before starting in on the Jeep. Here's a link to my photobucket account: http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/rivanisko4380/ I've been working on my CJ for years and there are a few pics in there of patching rust holes, welding in a new gas tank filler from a crotch rocket mc and even making some tube fenders. As Fusion King said, bondo will cover many sins, but most bondo jobs are a sign of poor workmanship. A true craftsman can weld in patch panels with little or no body filler, and that is what you want to strive for.

Good Luck

EDIT: You might also want to take a look at some DVD's (Paintucation- by Kevin Tetz) available through the Eastwood Company. Good information not only on paint and paint prep, but on patch panels too.
Nocheepgas pretty much hit it right on the head..........I have a dedicated 110 welder just for sheetmetal setup with .023 wire .......it never gets touched.....it's dialed in .Gor for good fit for your panel....I like to fit oversize.........,cleco in place then trim the body to fit the patch and weld flush as I go along.......takes a little practice but I end up with a nice flush weld area when done.I'll post a couple pics ..JimP1000253.jpgP1000239.jpgP1000222.jpg