Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default 1st TIME WELDER: I WANT TO WELD BODY PANEL ONTO A JEEP WRANGLER: PLEASE ADVISE

I AM A FIRST TIME WELDER AND I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM:

I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler that purchased 2 years ago and I have tried to do many of the repairs on the Jeep myself and with the help of some family members.
    I have a couple of rust spots that need to be repaired, I looked on Craigslist and found a brand new aftermarket Jeep CJ 5 driver side body panel< its doesnít exactly fit my jeep but parts of this body panel COULD be welded on to replace some of the rust holes that exist on the current body panel.

I talked to a couple of people about taking it in and getting the work done, this is super labor intensive and expensive. I have more time than money, and I think I will feel a great satisfaction if I learn how to weld, cut out the existing rusted panel, cut up the CJ Body panel and weld it to the 1991 Wrangler.

I have been told that it will be impossible for a guy like me to complete such a project. This makes me want to learn how to weld all that much more

1. WHAT KIND OF WELDER WILL I NEED? 110 MIG WELDERS?
    2. WHAT KIND OF TRAINING WILL I NEED? CAN I GET A DVD + WATCH THAT
    3. DO I REALLY NEED TO TAKE A 16 WEEK WELDING COURSE?
    4. ARE THERE SHORTER MORE SPECIFIC CLASSES I COULD TAKE 6 WEEK COURSE?
    5. COULD I JUST BUY A USED/ OR RENT A 110 MIG WELDER + PRACTICE ON SCRAP METAL?
    6. I LIVE IN THE CHICAGOLAND AREA, IS THERE ANYONE WILLING TO SHOW ME HOW TO USE A MIG WELDER? AS A GOOD DEED OR WE COULD FIGURE OUT SOME SORT OF PAYMENT

PLEASE ADVISE I AM LOCATED IN LAGRANGE PARK ILL

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH AND IF I WENT INTO TOO MUCH DETAIL ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Sincerely GLOCK

Default On the bright side....

Doing a good job and making undetectable repairs on Auto sheetmetal is not as diffucult as some may make it sound.BUT it takes a lot of practice and effort. You are going to need to start from the basics if you dont have any experience. A very good place to start and get info from Auto body pros who will answer any of your questions is www.autobodystore.com . Thanks Mike

Hey GLOCK,
    I'm going to respectfully challenge Mike(crawdaddy) a bit regarding his response.

1) You will definitely need some schooling, albeit, adult welding class, vo-tech, or a college welding program to get a basic understanding of the welding process & infinite issues that can/will arise.
    2) Welding auto body panels is a VERY difficult procedure for a newbie. The thin sheetmetal(18-22ga) of autos can be a nightmare of burnthrus & warpage. Knowing the parameters of heat/wirefeed/gas/flowrate takes many months of dedicated practice. I know, I've been doing it for over 30yrs & you're not going to learn it from a forum.
    3) The person who told you it will be impossible for a guy like you to complete this project is quite correct. You need to take the first steps to learn the welding arena.....SCHOOLING......PRACTICE! Not gonna happen without it.
    4) No one can recommend a unit to invest in as no one knows, including yourself, the entire gamut of what you want to weld now & IN THE FUTURE. Make sense?

Start with some schooling, then try to find a mentor who would be willing to guide you. We ALL make/made mistakes when we learned.....it's the teaching tool that makes you better.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Default Hi Denny,

I too will have to respectfully disagree.There are plenty of bodymen out there who learned by trial and error without the luxury of a school.And welding auto body sheetmetal is actually VERY easy if you #1 Are patient and dont rush the work #2 make sure your donor panel metal is clean with no rust at the joints #3 Minimize total heat buildup into the panel.The most diffucult part of welding auto panels for me is the fit up.#4 Do your welding as a series of tacks around the panel allowing plenty of cooling time between welds and hammer and dolly your welds while hot to minimize warping gradually joining the tacks until entire seam is welded closed.If you use a backing strip of sheetmetal on the backside of your joints it can help the amatuer because now you will have additional steel to weld into to help prevent burn through. Dont forget when doing auto panels you also have the luxury of using body filler along with block sanding to get the panel to the proper contours.IMO you will spend FAR more time mastering the finish work and body filler blocking than the panel replacement. I dont want to discourage any one but the OP'S first project will most likely be less than stellar.But the more you persevere the better you get.It sounds like the OP has the motivation and drive thats the most important thing.This is something that can be learned from books forums or friends without formal classroom training.There is plenty of living proof of that BUT you will shave years off the learning curve with a knowlegable mentor. Mike

I somewhat agree with both of you.
    I don't believe that Jeep would be anything anyone would want to brag on if it is a first project.
    I would personally recommend an autobody class over a welding course. It will do you MUCH MUCH more good. Most welding courses will barely even touch on sheet metal that thin, if they even do at all.
    There are some really good forums out there for this very thing, I am certain.
    I would have to start by asking,
    #1 "Are you mechanically inclined" to begin with?" ( maybe even artistic)
    #2 "Do you have an automotive background?" (you know, did you have hotrods and dirt bikes etc...)
    #3 "Do you have a decent place to work ...inside preferably?" (like with concrete and decent power and an air compressor)
    #4 "Do you already have a vast amount of power and hand tools?"
    If you answered yes to the first 2 then you chances are pretty good for doing this on your own, and if not then it will be much more difficult. The last 2 questions can be overcome if the answer is no, providing you said yes to the first 2.
    You need to be honest about this especially if you cannot afford to loose the vehicle. Your friends have already told you it would be impossible, which to me they are somewhat judging YOUR ablity.
    If you have just decided that the looks of your Jeep sucks and have never done anything with cars or other projects then unless you get some decent schooling I would say you have about a snowball's chance in he!! at getting this done even close to nice.
    The very fact that you even need to ask is making it somewhat suspect IMO

And then also....what do you have to loose??? If your answer is nothing, then go for it. (bondo can cover a lot of horrible metalwork)

Also I might add that if you come back and post more and get involved in some discussion and maybe even post a few pics of what you wish to repair, there may be a better chance of this being worth discussing. Otherwise we are simply debating the crying out of one more "one post wonder"

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Default Respone from 1st time welder/ glock

Thank you for all the responses, I have received many of the same reactions advise, all appreciated. There is a huge rust hole that needs to be filled on the driverís side and when I took off the plastic fenders along the base of the driverís side body panel there was all kinds of rust.

I want to learn how to weld pieces onto the body panel or completely replace the body panel myself because I have done most of the other work to the jeep myself.

I have a brother in law that is helping me and is also a Union Pipe Fitter, he isnít the best welder and isnít sure how to weld body panels in particular. I stopped in at an Auto Body Shop and the guy quoted me some insane price, if that is the case then I can easily buy a decent welder and take a class on auto body work and or welding.

The satisfaction comes from completing the project I and not having someone else do the work for me, I look forward to the challenge and I have absolutely nothing to lose as the current body panel looks terrible. Any kind of great strong weld that will patch the rust holes is the ultimate goal, if there are welds that may not look clean all the better - itís a JEEP . I want to learn how to weld and I have all the time in the world. I will seek out a mentor that sounds like a great idea, and I will read up on new mig welder auto body technology.

I appreciate all the feedback this is exactly what Iím looking for, and ideas as to what type of welder I should look for on Craigslist. I am only going to use this welder to patch holes on a body panel or to replace a body panel. I think the body panels are 18 Gauge steel. So whatever kind of welding I need to learn to weld some 18 Gauge steel together.

I am located in Chicago so if anyone is in the Area that would be interested in pointing me in the right direction and maybe showing me how to weld I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help to everyone who has responded! Have a great weekend

Thanks, GLOCK