Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Log splitter 3 point mod

I wasn't nuts about taking the time to do this but spose have wasted plenty on other foolish activities. Was looking for a shortcut to get what I wanted, did manage to find a bar I could have welded directly on but was attracted to bolts. This doesn't show the construction details but you can get the idea. At one time I had a 3 pt mounted splitter and was muscling this thing around the woods the other day when my Dad mentioned how sometimes the thing was handy mounted to the tractor. I hate backing this little deal up in the woods so for giggles I put a 3 point bracket on it. Will be able to back over rough ground right up to trees. Also a while back made protector for hyd filter that always seemed to get banged up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Cool. I spent years dragging one thru the woods. I skidded a few loads out yesterday and got it all cut up today. Even dropped one in a creek and had to wade out and hook it up. I could only drop it one way. Here's my 100cc baby...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Big bar. My Dad bought a longer bar the other day for a few larger trees, not that big though. He just bought another new Sthil, small one, 3.5 maybe 4 cubic inches, got some nice new features on it. His "hobby" is cutting wood, fine by me, I hate it. I use maybe 50 face cords or so a year, maybe more. Had 4 stoves running last year, down to 3 now so it will take some off. I put it in pallets for my shop if I can, last year I was a little behind the curve and seemed to be always hauling it in, finished most of it today, have 48 boxes for the shop, think I might get 6 or 8 more though. Use a bit more if we have rebuilding work going on constant or painting.
    I have 2 rows like the first pic with 23 boxes a row, I used to put some in the shop but since I have storage it really frees up the space along with moving my pickup and service truck out. Nice to have the place feel open and empty. I bring about 6 boxes or so at a time in, move them up near the stove with pallet jack.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-03-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Cool

Cool use for the old apple boxes. I cut wood almost all summer with my fleet of Echo saws. Just clearing out some big trees that blew down 10 years ago. The weekend warriors cut the tops and left the trunks some being 40" in dia. The bark was gone and the outside few inches was soft but the rest was good solid wood. Floated some down a creek yesterday and cut it up today. I gave it all away and a few guys just drug their splitters right to the site...Bob

Just seen this link from a Craig's listing the other day. If I did much fire wood cutting I'd sure look into one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-K8JtgjtBM
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Cool

I hope the point lasts longer than the ones that were sold in the 70's. Other than that its pretty cool...Bob