Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default money making at home.

i was looking into trailers, go karts, and sculptures. im not sure what other ways there are to make $ at home, or even if the stated above is worth the cost. any ideas would be great as i am out of work and a stay at home dad. thanks.

Before you jump into anything, do some price checking on materials. Your competition will be the established producers (of trailers and go-karts) and can likely buy materials at better rates than you can, have established processes, etc. and most likely can beat you on prices - perhaps by a great margin.

The sculpture idea may be more lucrative if you are in a location where there is a ready market for that type of product. The trick with sculptures is to build what catches someone's fancy - not necessarily your own.

PS: I am glad this thread came up and will be watching for replies!

Quote Originally Posted by cjcocn View Post
    Before you jump into anything, do some price checking on materials. Your competition will be the established producers (of trailers and go-karts) and can likely buy materials at better rates than you can, have established processes, etc. and most likely can beat you on prices - perhaps by a great margin.

The sculpture idea may be more lucrative if you are in a location where there is a ready market for that type of product. The trick with sculptures is to build what catches someone's fancy - not necessarily your own.

PS: I am glad this thread came up and will be watching for replies!
    thank you for the reply. as far as material my old boss gives me cost prices on steel, alum, and ss. i know theres trailers out there that you can buy, ex: home depot for cheap. thats what steers me away from that. maybe motorcycle trailers? here in FL people can ride all year round.
    as for the art/sculptures i have made a few cool candle holders and some pieces from golf club heads. but there is always that, " what do i make?" thought. i too am eager to hear more responses. thanks again, Joe

Smile I would add . . .

I would add CUSTOM SCOOTER (RASCAL) toters . . . you are in Florida, there are thousands of those things there . .

No matter what is offered, someone always wants something different for there use.

Steve
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Wacko Welder View Post
    I would add CUSTOM SCOOTER (RASCAL) toters . . . you are in Florida, there are thousands of those things there . .

No matter what is offered, someone always wants something different for there use.

Steve
    I like that idea! The way my knees are I have the "Scooter Store" on speed dial in my phone for when the need exceeds the pain level.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

I have been a metal artist since 1988. I observe what new products are in stores and look at many design/women's magazines to see what is popular and get ideas. I never copy an item - just get ideas. Lots of time I just sit on the garage floor surrounded by metal and scrap pieces and start playing. I started doing art fairs in the beginning and got a following; lead to custom orders and referrals. I have a few designers I've met over the years who come to me for specific pieces and an architect and a builder who refer me to their clients, and a fused glass artist that does joint projects with me (i.e. metal table bases with glass tops). Figure out what it is you want to make and go for it-good luck! Check out the projects sections.

What kind of equipment do you have?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    What kind of equipment do you have?
    right now i just have a miller 140, vise, torches, grinders.

I got a call the other day from a nice lady who wanted to know if I made window guards for dogs.

I don't do window guards, too many instances of them killing people in fires.

She said not that kind of window guards. She has an eight foot privacy fence and wants to have windows in it for the dogs. She wants something nice and made out of steel.

I've checked around and there's nothing like that sold around here. However, you see holes cut in fences with chicken wire or hardward cloth tacked over the hole to keep muzzles in and out.

I'll be doing them tomorrow and try to post pictures. The hassle is having the tools to do the installation too.