Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Anybody fix a starter ring gear?

Had a tractor break a tooth off the ring gear on the flywheel yesterday. New is no longer available, I may be able to turn up a used one, but was wondering if anyone ever successfully repaired one? Not sure what type of steel its made out of but can't be that hard since you heat these things up to install them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ben

Cool

Make a pattern from a good side of the gear then weld it up and file to suit. Use the pattern to check it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Hey Ben,
    Bob(aamm) is correct regarding first making an outline of the tooth dimensions. As far as welding, you did not indicate if you have a welder & type(Stick.MIG/etc.) that we could recommend filler. I've made a few replacement teeth with both 7018(SMAW) & ER70S-6(MIG) & then milled them to spec.. They're not hard to do.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

I would imagine the teeth on the flywheel for the starter would be hardened to some degree. Maybe check another tooth with a file to get an idea of how hard it is. If it's fairly hard and you just weld it I imagine there would be a good chance of it just snapping off again.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Default I've done a few

And not as good of a job as some posters have described.
    Sometimes an engine will stop running at the same place over and over. Generally on the ones I fixed there would be a good amount of wear on a couple or more teeth in the same area because of this phenomenon.
    Also I have done some of these directly on the vehicle, using tig and ER-70. I simply ground it close with a grinder and then filed it to shape. Never had any problem with them again.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey Ben,
    As far as welding, you did not indicate if you have a welder & type(Stick.MIG/etc.) that we could recommend filler.

Denny
    I was hoping I could do it with a hammer and nails, maybe some glue?

Seriously I have a TB 302 and a feeder. I could always use this as a excuse to go buy that tig torch too.

The shaping I can do it will just take time, I am mostly worried about brittleness/snapping the new tooth off the ring.

I'm not sure if I can get to it on the tractor or not...

The service manual would read like this.

1 Split tractor.

2 Remove clutch.

3 Remove flywheel.

So would 3/32 7018 be a good choice?

Thanks for the replies

Ben

If you wind up doing the job with the flywheel on the tractor, make sure to put the work clamp on the FW or if you can't due to lack of access then clamp to the crank pulley to prevent the weld current from having to jump the bearing clearance as it would if clamped to the block or frame.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Everything they said... And in addition to that, if the flywheel / ring gear can be mounted on a different degree to what it was, I would put the repaired side on the least used section. Example - the engine tends to stop in one regular place, put the repair opposite that if you can. Most flex plates/ring gears are balanced to the engine and have a locating index built in, for production engines; slower RPM engines don't require the balancing. If you can, change the degree of the plate. I've run into this before and have successfully rebuilt a bad spot on a ring gear with a hard facing filler, then ground and finished the teeth to a template, however I've done them as well with regular 70psi filler and been able to rotate the ring gear, so the wear took place in a different area. All repairs worked with no come-backs.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000