Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Oooooold Miller model 250 TIG/ stick welder, need help

I inherited an old (probably 1970's vintage) Miller model 250 TIG welder and need to know if there is a way to convert it to a modern type of controller. The fellow I got it from was an electronics genius and designed a foot operated control with a reversible drill and gear reduction box to drive the current setting and trigger the gas, etc. It had a water cooled torch handle that simply dumped into a drain and was regulated by hand.

I want to update it because the old wiring is brittle and the drill needs work. I also want to know if this is worth messing with. It worked great when I used it 20+ years ago.

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone have a comment?

I would like to help you out, but I don't even know where to begin. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.
    The setup you have sounds neat but really ,um, different.
    Good luck.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    I would like to help you out, but I don't even know where to begin. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.
    The setup you have sounds neat but really ,um, different.
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I just came back in from looking at it a little more and doing some more searching here. It appears to be a late 60s model serial # T447724 and the high frequency gear looks to be homemade so maybe I am headed in the right direction. I'm thinking he copied the design of the HF 250-1 unit's internals because it is not a Miller part. One of my main area of desire is to update the drill controlling the current. I saw where there is an accessory control for varying current from the torch handle, fixed mount or foot control. I can post pics if necessary. I am kind of blind on this so thanks for the help.