Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Smile Tripod-type Crane

I would like to build a tripod-type crane where I can hoist what it is I am making using a block & tackle and be able to manuver it. Has anyone built such a product where they could share their expertise? I am seeking to be able to lift less than 300 pounds. The object(s) are 8' to 9' long x 36" wide. Thanks.

Cool

I built 2 tripods for pulling car engines back in my younger days. One for me and one for friends and family. Never saw the friends one again . Mine i just chopped up to get the pipe for another project, it lasted 27 years. I just used 2" pipe with a 3/4" bolt thru the top with somewhat bigger holes in the pipe. It just had a circle of chain to hang the hoist on. Make the legs to suit, mine was 10' tall, somedays i wished they were 15' long...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Do you wish a tripod or a crane? The two are very very different.

Hello,
    Friend i am new for Tripod type crane. It's really new for me. All replies are welcome. I want to know more about this.
    Thanks.

A double ended frame w a single run connecting the two ends works good. Think heavy duty swing set with casters under the legs. If u wanna make it really useful use a small H beam for the long run at the top. You can use it for an underhanging trolley.

I have built a few over the years.

I like to build them with one leg foldable! Two padeyes at the top on a plate that the other two legs are welded to, and a single padeye in the top of the leg. Two pieces of chain back to the other two legs so it won't do the splits on you!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.