Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As a side note, DO NOT use brake cleaner to clean anything you weld, it can put off severely toxic gas that can kill you! I havent used a spool gun in years, but yes, welding aluminum in any way shape or form is MUCH more picky of the variables..... Good Luck.

Rudy
    T-4 Paraplegic, Runnin' the Pedal With my elbow, now trying to get used to a momentary switch.......

Journeyman Millwright, Local 1102, Detroit, Michigan (Disabled)

Syncrowave 200
    Coolmate 1

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdude View Post
    Looks like it is still dirty or the wind is blowing the gas away and it isn't shielded fully.
    You nailed it! It was actually very windy today. I forgot to mention that. I was trying to weld between big gusts, but that was difficult to do and I could hear the weld sizzle and pop a little when the wind picked up.

Those are great looking welds you did. I really need to get my paws on some thicker material.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Any chance you are using the wrong gas?
    It would seem that way, but I'm using 100% argon. I think the problem with the soot is my poor metal prep in combination with the gusty wind. I forgot to mention that important part.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyOnWheels View Post
    As a side note, DO NOT use brake cleaner to clean anything you weld, it can put off severely toxic gas that can kill you! I havent used a spool gun in years, but yes, welding aluminum in any way shape or form is MUCH more picky of the variables..... Good Luck.

Rudy
    Point taken. Thanks for the input.

Are you pushing the weld or dragging it?
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kevin View Post
    Are you pushing the weld or dragging it?
    You are the first to mention this!!!! Push the weld........you get gas coverage that way...Dragging will cause black stuff... Just my experience.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    You nailed it! It was actually very windy today. I forgot to mention that. I was trying to weld between big gusts, but that was difficult to do and I could hear the weld sizzle and pop a little when the wind picked up.

Those are great looking welds you did. I really need to get my paws on some thicker material.
    You will find that Aluminum is much more finicky about gas than steel. Even a light gust from a fan will screw it up.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Default Push or pull?

Are you pushing or pulling the weld? With aluminum, a pushing technique puts the shielding gas out in front. Also, as mentioned, try moving faster. I have the PP+ and the Spoolmate 100 and they work great. But yes, it does take practice.