Here is my cheap solution for my need to find a way to bend some ¼” aluminum diamond plate for some brackets I needed to make. I made it after seeing some examples of DIY press brakes online. All welding was done with my MM211 with .035 wire. The die I made from an old piece of ½” thick railroad scrap I found at the local Rail Road crossing.
The 3/16” x 1 ½” and 3/16” x 2” angle iron and ¾” round bar I had left over from other projects. The ¼” steel base plate I cut from the edge of a larger piece I was using as a welding table top. The round pipe was scrap left over after relocating some steam radiators in my house.
I cut the railroad scrap down to about 12’ x 2½” with a cheapo 4 ½” Harbor Freight/Northern grinder with a good quality cut-off disk. I started out by using my plasma cutter on it, but found that the low-tech method of using the grinder and cut-off wheel worked better, leaving a beautiful clean edge.
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Thread: My DIY press brake 1
10-21-2010, 03:52 PM #1Member
- Join Date
- Dec 2009
My DIY press brake 1
Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-21-2010 at 09:24 PM.Millermatic 211
Everlast 200DX TIG
Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
Century Stick welder
Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
Oxy set-up with Henrob 2000 torch
Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
Jet band saw