Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bob's solar powered robot of death.

Well, that title sure has a snap to it.

Haven't posted a project for a while. I appreciate when I see your projects so I better contribute a bit.

Here's the scenario.

I needed a shop/security light out in front of my garage. As a lot of you can appreciate, I'd rather spend $1000 to avoid spending even one extra thin dime with my local power company. So, I wanted to build a little solar shop light. I decided I couldn't very well just hang a light out there... SO, I decided to build something like a guardian robot to hang the panel and lighting on.

I want it to look menacing and deadly when done. I suspect I'll have some kind of crazy weapon in his hands, and I'm mounting two 35 watt HID offroad lights on his shoulders to disperse the light. The solar panels are 45 watts, and should charge enough to keep the HID's on for about 5-6 hours. If not, I'll add more panels until it works.

Thing should be about 7-8 feet tall when done. I got one leg done this weekend. None of this is functional. It's just supposed to look like it could "technically" be functional. Largely it's going to end up as a mechanical sculpture I'm integrating a solar security light into.

When it finally gets all painted and powder coated, it should look pretty slick. Hopefully done in the next 60 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vectorsolid; 12-23-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Default I'll be back

Looks awesome, can't wait to see the finished product!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Awesome! First thing that came to my mind was one of the robots in robo cop that doesn't have a head or anything but just a body with legs like that. ha hahaah just awesome!

It already looks scary.
    XMT-300 with S-64 wire feeder.
    Lincoln HI-FREQ modified to run XMT.
    Esab PCM-875 plasma cutter.
    Miller Spoolmatic-1
    Miller PC-300 pulser
    Miller Optima pulser

That thing is going to look too cool. I hope noboby steals your sercurity light, when it is done.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default nice legs

thats one ***y leg lol seriously it looks great

looks good .cant wait to see the rest
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

This will be a good thread to watch..

Looking forward to the progress!

way cool, looking forward to watching it grow.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Heavy Metal

OUTSTANDING! Looks it could actually function. Well done.

What was your inspiration for the design?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Coolmate 3