Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AWS welding challenge

Hey guys I got a quick one for you has anybody heard of or attended this event i saw it posted at a welding company in my home town i think it was a couple of weeks ago and it sliped my mind about asking any of you.

It was i think a welders challenge open to any welders and the grand prize was $25,000(not 100% sure) and so much for 2 & 3rd place to test your skills against other welders, i wanted to find out more on this but was not able to .

I belive it was in Chicago IL the weekend of the 12-13th of Dec this year,
    so if any body might have info on this let me know if you went or how it went if you know somebody that went to this or has been to one in the past.

188 welders from across the United States and Canada went head-to-head in the ultimate welding challenge, but only one would walk away with the $2,500 grand prize. The American Welding Society 2007 Professional Welders Competition took place on November 12-13 at the FABTECH Int. and AWS Welding Show in Chicago, IL.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

Default welding challenge?

Hey Savage, what I want to know is how do they pick who goe's and what type of qualifications do you need to enter this and has anybody here ever beento one and whats the style of testing/welding do you do while in the chllenge? And is the money the only thing you get or is there more to it ?
    such as possibale job extras any thing like that. Also what type of certs do you need to have as well, just some things running through my mined that i would like more info on.

Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

Default welding challenge

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
    thanks man i'll look at this more when i'm done eating

So these guys (and many others) are now thinking they're the best welders in the US, but the competition existed of only a fillet weld?

Where's the 1/16" capillary tube, the .035" thickness tube, the .006" flex hoses, and the tough stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    So these guys (and many others) are now thinking they're the best welders in the US, but the competition existed of only a fillet weld?

Where's the 1/16" capillary tube, the .035" thickness tube, the .006" flex hoses, and the tough stuff?

Amen Engloid, may I add using Waspaloy, Inconel 718, Haynes 188 or maybe Hastelloy X as the the base metal for the test. That should give the competition some credence.

Might make it more interesting to have several catagories, like, miniature, precision cutting (torch and plasma), obstructed view, water, etc.

Question welding challenge

OH YEAH! This is what I wanted to hear from everybody about this so called challlenge, whatabout all the other aspects of welding? just because they do just one method of a test they are now called the best in the field? well I think not my friends, I have seen and done some awsome welding in my day and i'm not the best but I can hold my own when it cames to welding and i'm sure some of you can say the same, such as yourself Engloid we all have seen your qualifications with your post and why didn't you get invited to this so called welding challenge or some other guys as well that are professinoals in the field already? It just makes you wonder how picks and says who is or not the best in this field. Remember it's not just a simple test but a wide area of skills that a person has masterd overy there carrer in the welding trades so what about plasma,torching,fit-ups blueprint reading and all the other skills that we had to learn to do our jobs.

SO WHO IS UP FOR A REAL WELDING CHALLENGE TO TEST YOUR SKILLS AGIANST THE BEST OF THE BEST IN THE WELDING ARENA??? YOU NAME THE TIME, PLACE, DATE AND WHATS AT STAKE TO THE BEST AND I'LL BE THERE, JUST TO SEE IF I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES.

It might be (and not trying to defend here) that they just want one weld to determine your worth as a welder.

For instance: I stop by a Mex joint and order the simple beef enchilada's. If they cannot make that a Mex staple then forget it, I will not eat there again.

There are lots of examples of this in our life...if you cheat me in a card game I sure as heck not going to play golf with you.

Bottom line: Maybe due to time, space and materials and the 188 folks they have to have you do something simple. If you cannot do that then you are outta here Jack.

Dunno, not saying that is the case but maybe??
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press