Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what alloy is your parent metal? since you never said what wire size, then assuming you are using .035, i honestly doubt that you are anywhere near spray with a 210... it should make a hiss sound and not a bacon frying sound...

WHAT polarity are you running?
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

The machine will do it. seems like the wire speed is slow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I doubt if you are going to get spray with a 210 on alum. Just my thought...Bob
    With aluminum MIG being a spray transfer process I've never read/seen any Miller literature/media that states "aluminum MIG is a spray transfer process except with machines X, Y & Z that are designed to be used with a spoolgun".

No doubt we've seen way too many spoolguns with aluminum used incorrectly in short circuit but it's simply a matter of proper voltage, wfs and wire size to achieve spray transfer results.

Of course, machine capacity will determine the limit of material thickness that can be properly spray transfer welded with aluminum MIG with and without material preheating.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

What's the polarity you're using?

The spool gun is hooked up per the instructions, I've had the wire speed and voltage from cold to burn through hot. The wire is 4043, argon gas, the base metal is unknown, it tig welds fine. I've pushed, 90*-45* no difference. It sounds good near the recommended settings, kind of a low hiss with very little splatter. Pi$$ on it I'm done, this machine will not weld aluminum, my tig welding skills will just have to improve.

I have an AutoArc Pro 230 which is a rebadged Miller 210, with a 3035 spoolgun. I can get decent spoolgun welds, up to 1/2" thick(with preheat). The spoolgun is a different animal than regular Mig. Stickout, angle, and push come immediately to mind. Just keep practicing. The equipment IS capable.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    What's the polarity you're using?
    That's what I was thinking.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

It's hooked up per the owners manual , positive lead to postive terminal on the welder, gas line on the barb fitting and the plug that goes to the recepticle on the front of the machine. No where in the manual did I see anything different for aluminum, stainless or steel. If I have missed something please point out where it is.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    It's hooked up per the owners manual , positive lead to postive terminal on the welder, gas line on the barb fitting and the plug that goes to the recepticle on the front of the machine. No where in the manual did I see anything different for aluminum, stainless or steel. If I have missed something please point out where it is.
    Nope thats the right way for your hookup. It should be proper for alum, steel or stainless with the spoolgun. One other thing to check is the hose that goes on the barb make sure it isn't blocked by a chunk of the inside rubber of the hose. Mine was once and i was having a fit. Also make sure part of the paper label isn't folded inside the 5/8" hole of your spool that was another problem for me when i first got mine it was making enough drag my welds sucked too...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I removed the covers and checked the lines in the welder, they were fine. You can hear and feel gas coming out o fthe nozzle, I'll take the gun apart and look at it.