Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: line bore job

I too would like to see pictures. Couple times over the years I've turned cranes over to line bore guys to repair the heel pin holes in the boom. The operation would be done over a weekend, so I never stuck around to see how it was done. Would be very interesting to see, with detailed informations of what is being done!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

I recall, a few years ago, there was a guy here who did a very professional, home-grown line-bore job. Posted pics on one of these boards, it was JHall if I remember correctly. Center pivot on an articulated Cat loader. Mounted bearings top and bottom, had a 2" boring bar fabbed by a local machine shop, held it up and fed it in with an overhead chain fall, turned it with what looked like a Dodge Screw-Conveyor drive. Could'a been posted on SFT, do a search.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Recalling it now, it was either username "JHall" or "Jeff", depending on the forum, do a search monte, this is amazing work, you yourself wouldn't have any concept.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by dppmfg View Post
    I have an line bore job coming up next week. It will be the first time i have used my set up since converting the thing to hydraulic drive. My new to me truck has auxiliary ports on it.
    The job will not be any thing to major my understanding is that it will be pivot points on some kind of lift.
    I didn't know if you fine folks would be interested in something like that or not.
    If there is interest i will try and take pics and post the job if no one is in to it then i wont wast my time.
    I would ask if you wanted any help but I have to leave monday for Illinois I got your PM but I been to busy to give ya a call. I'll catch up with ya one of these days.
    Take care,
    Tim
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Default lineboring

What kind of bar do you use? I use a YORK and really like it,but I love my BORETECH bore welder.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Recalling it now, it was either username "JHall" or "Jeff", depending on the forum, do a search monte, this is amazing work, you yourself wouldn't have any concept.
    Don't quite get your post....care to elaborate?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by junkwelder View Post
    What kind of bar do you use? I use a YORK and really like it,but I love my BORETECH bore welder.
    The bar is a home made contraption 1-1/2 bar hyd drive off the truck, hand feed. I am way to poor to afford one of the commercial bars.
    I would love to have a bore welder but just cant justify 7 grand for one I will just keep on welding them by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dppmfg View Post
    The bar is a home made contraption 1-1/2 bar hyd drive off the truck, hand feed. I am way to poor to afford one of the commercial bars.
    I would love to have a bore welder but just cant justify 7 grand for one I will just keep on welding them by hand.
    Nothing wrong with home made. I'll be looking for your pictures.

Thanks for the compliments, JS.
    Jeff

J Hall, the main reason I wanted to point out your job, seems too many people tend to consider this "over and above" their capabilities. When you cut it down to the basics, line bore is essentially lining up a series of holes. Especially for a "one-off" job, it's not as expensive to do as one would think. One does have to take accurate measurements, and one does have to take their time boring the hole, but in the end it's not rocket science. I always admire the guy, looking around his shop, and figuring he has what's required, with a few hundred dollars more, getting 'er done.

Last bore job I was involved in, for the price it was beyond my capabilities, reaming out the front steering pivot on a Roadtec RX-45,,,,, 8" cylinder, needed to go down 4 more inches, bored wrong from the factory. I gave the customer the name and phone, guy stopped by in a pickup, took a few measurements,,,, came by a couple days later, with the big truck, everything pre-fabbed, a half-day's work on site, total bill was well below $2000.00

Default progress update

machine showed up today. It was a little bit different than i expected. The customer had tried to remove the broken off, rusted in place pin by cutting along the tube with a torch. Not sure why they tried that but guess that is why they build buildings and we fix stuff.
    My plan is to cut out the tube, machine a new one undersized on the id and line bore to size after welding.

Te pics are not great just snapped a couple before i left the shop

100_1345.jpg
    100_1346.jpg
    100_1344.jpg